Homemade Roof Basket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Blazer383

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I would show you the roof rack that I made. Its made from pure aluminum(even the rivets) to cut down on the weight. It cost me a little over $300 to make and I am very happy with it. The only things left to do are to trim some of the brackets and to fasten it down(without tie down straps lol) Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• AngleBasket.jpg
    AngleBasket.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 200
  • BasketLayout.jpg
    BasketLayout.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 168
  • heightcomparison.jpg
    heightcomparison.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 178

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Looks good, I would have had it welded though instead of rivets.

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welded will look much cleaner. If its for just funtionality then stick with the rivets. Looks good though!

OP
OP

94Blazer383

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will be welding it as soon as I get the TIG working. I might just have to send the basket with my dad to get it welded by pros at work

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off nice rack. Second $300 sounds like a whole lot of cash for this thing. I just built a way more in dept on made of steel for my friends exterra and I only had $75 into the whole thing and I even covered in in rhino liner. I will try and find a pic. So I guess my question is why was it so much?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I payed $70 for an ebay rack but im gonna make one similar to yours. Looks good but mine has u bts to be tightened

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
I bet that rack rattles like crazy. The first rack I made for my dodge was too close to the roof and rattled all the time.

It looks nice and strong though.

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean the rack I posted rattles it doesnt. When installed we used foam weather stripping along the top edges before we screwed it down and there are 4 soft rubber supports under the floor part.