Homemade lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Earltater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a homemade body lift for my 99 tahoe. I work at a custom fab Shop so making it won't be a problem. I was just wondering what all I need and if I'll have to extend anything when I do it
Any help would greatly appreciated.

Tregs

Reaction score
i put a 3" body lift on a 2001. It may not be exactly the same for a 99, but FWIW, this is what I did (from what I remember)
- body spacers
- brake line extensions. The brake lines in the engine compartment are bolted to the body. Under the truck, they are bolted to the frame. You need a mounting extension for the transition
- bumper relocation brackets since the body goes up but the bumpers are mounted to the frame
- The radiator can move 3" but the shroud must remain centered with the fan which is mounted to the engine
- gas tank filler relocation
- Negative ground extension in the engine compartment
- gap guards to fill the space between the frame and the body.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would err on the side of caution here. Most lift kits today still seem to require some modifications and additional parts/work. Add in specific sizes for bushings n such at I'd say it's a pretty tough task. Not saying it can't be done but if you're asking for specific directions....gl

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a 3" body lift on a 2001. It may not be exactly the same for a 99, but FWIW, this is what I did (from what I remember)
- body spacers
- brake line extensions. The brake lines in the engine compartment are bolted to the body. Under the truck, they are bolted to the frame. You need a mounting extension for the transition
- bumper relocation brackets since the body goes up but the bumpers are mounted to the frame
- The radiator can move 3" but the shroud must remain centered with the fan which is mounted to the engine
- gas tank filler relocation
- Negative ground extension in the engine compartment
- gap guards to fill the space between the frame and the body.

You dont have to worry about the fan and the shroud situation if you make the switch to electric fans. Might as well go that route rather than mess with that I'd think.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Depending on how big - i know guys that have used hockey pucks for the spacers and they work well.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Mostly Jeep guys I know use them - its "old school body lift" when you only want to spend $50 and gain an inch. Obviously on a new pickup it cant be done that easy because of the bumper brackets, etc. And no this wasnt in Houston - this was Upstate NY.