Highway Shaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 98 GMC Yukon and as said in the title I'm getting a shaking/vibration when I reach speeds 50 and above. About a year or two ago I hydroplaned into a curb going ~40MPH. It bent my rim, and that's when the shaking started. I got new rims since then and put the same tires on thinking that was the problem. That didn't fix it, so I got them rotated and balanced, and that didn't help. Then I got it aligned and that didn't do anything either. A couple days ago, I got brand new tires and that didn't change anything, if anything made it more noticeable (they are wider and are all terrain tires). I'm really leaning toward hub assembly. What do you guys think? Ball joints, bent control arm, brake related? Thanks for the help.

(I just bought all 4 new shocks today because the front ones are pretty shot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So start with the hub?

I would pull both front wheels and look at everything, concentrate on the side you wacked and measure look if something looks off, etcetc... I doubt its the hub but you never know. Alignment guys may have lined it up but then again maybe they didnt look at everything. My guy told me what was going on and that everything still looks good under my truck, i had no issues just got it aligned because level kit, grab the hub after it cools down and see how it feels and listen to it... worse case take it back to alignment guys and ask to do it sgain because it still feels off to you.

OP
OP
R

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score
I would pull both front wheels and look at everything, concentrate on the side you wacked and measure look if something looks off, etcetc... I doubt its the hub but you never know. Alignment guys may have lined it up but then again maybe they didnt look at everything. My guy told me what was going on and that everything still looks good under my truck, i had no issues just got it aligned because level kit, grab the hub after it cools down and see how it feels and listen to it... worse case take it back to alignment guys and ask to do it sgain because it still feels off to you.
Alright thanks! Ive noticed that the wheel is hot after I drive it but I can't tell if that's the brake or the hub. I'll pull it off tonight and see if there's anything off, and get it realigned soon because I have a 6 month warranty.

edonwheels73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jack it up and see if you have any play in your wheels. Could be a bad shock too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, check for play in the hub, ball joints, end links on the swaybar, tie rods, and try to compare the hard parts to the other side and see if they are bent. I'm assuming you hit the curb then with one of your front wheels?

I once spun out and hit the curb avoiding an old lady who pulled out in front me, busted an axle shaft on the rear differential, plus the wheel, tire and brake shoes.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, check for play in the hub, ball joints, end links on the swaybar, tie rods, and try to compare the hard parts to the other side and see if they are bent. I'm assuming you hit the curb then with one of your front wheels?

I once spun out and hit the curb avoiding an old lady who pulled out in front me, busted an axle shaft on the rear differential, plus the wheel, tire and brake shoes.
Did that in a 71 nova minus the old lady and plus my stupidity

OP
OP
R

rAiN_Twist

Reaction score

Could the sway bar really make it shake like that? Because one of my sway bar end link bushings is missing and makes a pop when I turn hard right sometimes. Noticed it was missing a couple months ago, hadn't got around to getting a new one. Probably going to replace the whole sway bar soon anyways. I'd like a stiffer one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy