High output alternator needed for amplifiers and subs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilutedpjn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will be installing 2 1500 watt amplifiers and two 12" subs in my 2016 Tahoe LT. I also have 2 2 Farad capacitors that are going in. Will it be necessary to add a high output alternator to my truck or should I be fine?

Duff87

Reaction score
Your going to atleast need to upgrade your oem battery to an agm battery then add a second agm battery.

OP
OP
Dilutedpjn

Dilutedpjn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your going to atleast need to upgrade your oem battery to an agm battery then add a second agm battery.
Is this mandatory or can I get by with a stock setup? Also, without doing what you said, what will the side effects be?

Duff87

Reaction score
When you deal with adding electronics to your car you are putting a strain on the oem electrical system..... usually a rule of thumb is that once you start talking over 1000 watts upgrades need to be made to your system( battery, alternator, caps)...... but what will happen if don't upgrade your amps can not get that power from your current battery and alternator and it will try to take it from other places like your headlights flickering and other strange stuff with cars electrical.... so when you say you have 2 1500 watt amps that is in perfect world with good electrical 14v, but in your situation during demands from you amps you may be sitting at 10 volts if don't upgrade possibly send your amps into protection mode(low voltage)

OP
OP
Dilutedpjn

Dilutedpjn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you deal with adding electronics to your car you are putting a strain on the oem electrical system..... usually a rule of thumb is that once you start talking over 1000 watts upgrades need to be made to your system( battery, alternator, caps)...... but what will happen if don't upgrade your amps can not get that power from your current battery and alternator and it will try to take it from other places like your headlights flickering and other strange stuff with cars electrical.... so when you say you have 2 1500 watt amps that is in perfect world with good electrical 14v, but in your situation during demands from you amps you may be sitting at 10 volts if don't upgrade possibly send your amps into protection mode(low voltage)
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to hit me with some knowledge. Now I will take some time to research these upgrades.