High oil pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeliMatt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, my truck's oil pressure has been running up around 65-70 psi after start up. After it's been running for a while it drops to 55-60 psi at idle and then increases when you step on the gas.

The other Tahoe I owned only ran at about 40 psi almost all the time, and I'm pretty sure this one did too before I changed the distributor a few months ago.

My first thought was that it was the gauge or the sender, but I put a mechanical gauge on it and it read the same.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? Should I be concerned?

I'd like to take the truck on a long road trip in the next couple months and I've heard several conflicting theories.

OP
OP
HeliMatt

HeliMatt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and it still read high. And I've changed the oil and filter on it and it had no effect.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and it still read high. And I've changed the oil and filter on it and it had no effect.
What weight oil is in it? Is that the same weight you've used in the past when pressure was lower? It's nice to have good oil pressure but very odd for oil pressure to suddenly increase. The resistance to flow by clearances in the bearings is what causes oil pressure and then it's controlled by the relief valve in the pump.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your numbers are nearly perfect, just don't romp on it cold! If it has been a slow climb, switch to a better grade oil. If already using good oil, don't go over 15-40. Your truck has a giant oil pump. Filters can effect pressure too. Wix are good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos