High mileage suspension/steering refresh.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stagrlee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '04 Z71 truck has 185K with only the shocks (123K) and steering column intermediate shaft (45K miles) replaced. All linkage grease boots are worse than what you have and a lube job will leak grease out of the cracks. Still no slop in the linkages yet, but that will eventually change when the lube is all leaked out or dirt penetrates the joints. I have a rebuild probably coming this year or next year and look forward to your incites.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man was yours 3 or 4 groove pitman? My Vin pulls up one or the other and the local stealership said I just have to get in there to see what one it had. I bought both and will return the one not needed. I was just wondering if there was a pattern or manufacturer date for this in cause anyone else ran into this issue.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man was yours 3 or 4 groove pitman? My Vin pulls up one or the other and the local stealership said I just have to get in there to see what one it had. I bought both and will return the one not needed. I was just wondering if there was a pattern or manufacturer date for this in cause anyone else ran into this issue.
I just checked on RockAuto and for both our rigs all they list is the 4 groove. That's the one I bought.

OP
OP
Epik

Epik

Reaction score
I replaced pretty much everything that @MCAT069 did at around 150k. I went with Moog Problem Solver except the Pitman arm was ACDelco Professional due to supposed problems installing the Moog. Truck drives like new again. I figured do it once, and since I paid to have it done, the labor was a big factor. No cheap parts that need to be replaced anytime soon.

Thank you! I totally agree, I’m paying to have mine done, and I want it done right once! Is it a night and day difference over how it rode before replacing everything? I did see that on some tutorial videos of how the moog pitman arm had a gap at the steering box when installed. Thanks for the info!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I totally agree, I’m paying to have mine done, and I want it done right once! Is it a night and day difference over how it rode before replacing everything? I did see that on some tutorial videos of how the moog pitman arm had a gap at the steering box when installed. Thanks for the info!
It wandered pretty bad before. It drives pretty much like new now.

OP
OP
Epik

Epik

Reaction score
It wandered pretty bad before. It drives pretty much like new now.
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I’ve never driven a newer Tahoe, in fact mine was well worn when I bought it, so it’s all I know lol. But I can’t imagine everything being in spec at well over 250k miles. I can’t wait to get all this done. Did you do any of the rear suspension as well? I know that’s a whole other ball of wax, just curious though.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I’ve never driven a newer Tahoe, in fact mine was well worn when I bought it, so it’s all I know lol. But I can’t imagine everything being in spec at well over 250k miles. I can’t wait to get all this done. Did you do any of the rear suspension as well? I know that’s a whole other ball of wax, just curious though.
I did. Before doing the front steering I lowered it with drop spindles in the front, lowering springs in the rear, the biggest swaybars I could find, new endlinks all around, poly bushings on everything, Bilstein shocks, and heavy panhard bar. The combination of suspension and steering components make it ride and handle like a much more nimble vehicle. It doesn't drive like a tank anymore.

OP
OP
Epik

Epik

Reaction score
I did. Before doing the front steering I lowered it with drop spindles in the front, lowering springs in the rear, the biggest swaybars I could find, new endlinks all around, poly bushings on everything, Bilstein shocks, and heavy panhard bar. The combination of suspension and steering components make it ride and handle like a much more nimble vehicle. It doesn't drive like a tank anymore.

Oh ok. Sounds awesome, but not my goal. Did you install poly bushings in the factory original rear control arms, or did you purchase aftermarket arms? In the front you did standard bushings, or poly? My truck is a 4x4, so I’m not interested in lowering it, or making it a handling machine, just want a factory fresh ride quality again (my CTSV is for corner carving).

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought new Moog upper and lower control arms for the rear and left the bushings in them they came with. They weren't poly.

OP
OP
Epik

Epik

Reaction score
I just bought new Moog upper and lower control arms for the rear and left the bushings in them they came with. They weren't poly.

Yeah, that was my plan. I was confused when you said poly everything. Thanks again for all the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins