hi i have a 2002 gmc yukon 4x4 3/4 ton with a 6.0.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blairstop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the check eng light came on and i was told i had to reset the eng.flash the firing order or somthing like that. i replaced the wires and plugs but still cant get it to run right. the codes say i am mis firing in # 4 cy but the volt meter says its fine. how can i fix the problem.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A multimeter is only marginally helpful diagnosing high voltage ignition problems. The swapping of the coils is the easiest way to determine if the coil is bad. If the problem moves to the new location when you move the coil, then the coil is the problem.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one cylinder only is missing there are really only 3 possibilities, bad spark, bad fuel injector or bad compression.

My diagnostic routine goes like this;
1) Connect my old dinosaur inductive pickup timing light to the spark plug wire on the missing cylinder and fire up the engine, if the light blinks while the engine is running I know that I have spark; if not I switch around the coil packs and see if the miss moves to another cylinder.
2) If it passes the spark test I pull the plug and look for oil or a way out of spec gap, if the plug looks operable I remove the plugs that are adjacent to the missing cylinder, connect a compression gauge to the missing cylinder and spin the engine over; if compression seems adequate then I conclude that the only thing left is a bad fuel fuel injector so I replace the fuel injector on the missing cylinder.

Takes about 15 minutes to do this routine plus whatever time it takes to replace the failed component.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442