Hey there from Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CO-Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I posted on the sister site and it was suggested to head on over here.
Just wanted to pop in and say hey.
New to the site. I just picked up a 2000 z71 for a song, but it does have a few issues that I'm trying to work through. The transmission doesn't want to shift up from 2nd gear ( I'm thinking maybe a faulty shift solenoid). The ABS/check engine light is on so I took it over to O'Reillys and the code is saying it has a bad ABS Wheel Sensor so I ordered both of those since they couldn't determine which one it was. The speedometer isn't working (I replaced the VSS but it didn't help so still digging into that one.) The Volt gauge is ******* out and showing an overcharge but I don't have a lot of faith that it's working right. The fuel gauge is showing full one time I turn the key and then empty the other ( which is why my faith in the voltage being right is questionable). Other than that the rig is in decent shape and the 5.7 is a very strong runner. the body and interior is in real good condition with the exception of a dented rear door but there is a color matched replacement that came in the deal along with anonother door and 2 front fenders. It has a 2" lift that allows it to stand very nicely. The undercarriage has been coated and it has the original polished aluminum wheels and an after market dual exhaust system.
Anyway, sorry for such a long intro since I was only going to say hi. LOL
If anyone has any suggestions it is greatly appreciated.
You will be seeing me around.
Chad

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome Chad. Your stepper motors might be bad. I know it's a common issue in the 01-06 bodies. Could probably fix those issues just by replacing those.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Chad!! You came to the right place for your 2000 z71!!

OP
OP
CO-Tahoe

CO-Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome Chad. Your stepper motors might be bad. I know it's a common issue in the 01-06 bodies. Could probably fix those issues just by replacing those.
Thanks for the welcome, I'm not real sure what a stepper motor is but I will look into it. Is it common for more than one to go bad at a time or is there just one for multiple gauges? Appeciate the insight!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The stepper motor is behind the dash face, they control the movement of your gauge needles. They do go bad a lot. They're cheap to replace, and they get soldered in. There's plenty of places online who will rebuild your entire cluster very reasonably, and a member @ScottyBoy also does it , and can also convert your cluster lights to led, which is nice. I'm not saying that's your issue, but sounds like it most likely is.

OP
OP
CO-Tahoe

CO-Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The stepper motor is behind the dash face, they control the movement of your gauge needles. They do go bad a lot. They're cheap to replace, and they get soldered in. There's plenty of places online who will rebuild your entire cluster very reasonably, and a member @ScottyBoy also does it , and can also convert your cluster lights to led, which is nice. I'm not saying that's your issue, but sounds like it most likely is.
Cool, Thanks bud. I'll look into just replacing them either way if they are prone to failure.