Here's a weird one...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, carbs are ancient, but was just trying to make a point. We've come so far with technology in cars, and the manufacturers are trying to get rid of the garage mechanics. Pretty soon, to fix or diagnose a problem, you're going to need a degree in rocket science or something.

Won't be a problem with me cuz I can't afford anything I can't fix myself. Some aspects about my Tahoe are actually beyond my scope, primarily due to it's CAN BUS system. But, I have [somewhat?] adequate knowledge and forums to refer to for help.

Years from now, while people with their plasma-injected ion-propulsion cars are taking them to their local NASA service station to have the gyroscopes recalibrated, I'll be in my own garage zipping off the lugnuts on my antique, but paid-off pavement-pounder.

OP
OP
DJ BigDog

DJ BigDog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Final Verdict: Tech found a corroded engine ground under truck up high. This was causing the drop out which in turn fried the module. I guess it was the weakest link or closest electronic component. Replaced and cleaned area of ground strap reset everything and no issues per the Tech. I go to pick it up at 5:30 and I'm going to test his theory like a madman because I'm not dealing with that again!!!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. So adult. Lol.
Some of us have achieved a sense of humor, some are just working on it. ;) I am the one with almost 3 decades of electrical and electronic experience so I should be able to nail down an electrical problem. Many people dont realize the chaos ground can cause. Quite common for a loose/corroded ground to fry stuff. Its the same effect as turning a light switch on and off....a million times in a 24hr period. The sudden shock of heat then cooling in between cycles is murderous to electronics.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Anytime the Throttle position at the throttle body and the commanded position which comes from the potentiometer via the throttle (Gas Pedal) has an error within a certain percentage you will go into a limp mode. These two signals are fed back and forth via the TAC Module.
Heres a link how the system works for those that like to know how stuff works: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.8L-5.3L-6.0L/electronic-throttle-body-2

Another common part failure that will cause this code is the TPS and its wiring harness at the throttle body. (Its pot gets worn out and dirty or electrically open spots within its 1-100% range). I just had this problem on my 05 Yukon Denali. Id get around 75% throttle position or so at the pedal and it would just slam into reduced engine power mode and literally reverts to idle speed and wont go any higher without shutting engine off and it clearing. This prevents engine runaway because of faulty DBW parts.
I think this is happening to my 03 now.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is happening to my 03 now.
Easy enough to change out the TPS. They are riveted to the throttle body if yours is original. Drill the rivet heads off and push the rivet rearward and out. The replacement is bolted on (4 bolts/nuts) and comes with a replacement wiring harness that you splice in. The original OEM harness had problems with the connection within the plug and wires breaking off just as they leave the connector. (Just the copper breaks, the insulation stays intact) They run around $45 on rockauto. You have to do a idle relearn. Im pretty sure the tac module is the box to the right of the brake booster/hydroboost (whichever you have).

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I got a P1516 and P0103, which is maf. Not concerned about that one. Also got the reduced engine power display. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of us have achieved a sense of humor, some are just working on it. ;) I am the one with almost 3 decades of electrical and electronic experience so I should be able to nail down an electrical problem. Many people dont realize the chaos ground can cause. Quite common for a loose/corroded ground to fry stuff. Its the same effect as turning a light switch on and off....a million times in a 24hr period. The sudden shock of heat then cooling in between cycles is murderous to electronics.
I understand you have the experience and knowledge. There's no doubt in my mind. I give that to you hands down and in that regard you have my utmost respect. It's been your career. I was an electronics tech, troubleshooting at the component level so I also understand the effects of intermittent connections including grounds. But even people who are the very best at what they do are still obnoxious as hell when they boast of brag or feel the need to say things like you just said. Sorry but that isn't humor. I could tell you what it is but I'm trying to be nice. Like I said though you have my respect in the knowledge department. Hope that makes you feel warm and fuzzy.:signs8:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Some people just have a dry sense of humor, some people are sarcastic and some people are just outright a$$holes! I'm not calling anyone anything, it's just what makes us who we are. :favorites25: Me personally, I'm a sarcastic mofo in real life when I have to be, but I like you guys on here. :drunk:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts