help, shop says autoride front strut is bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Suburban LTZ, 144K miles, 4wd, z55 autoride.
I picked this up a week ago and it's got a bump noise in the front suspension. I took it to an alignment shop and they said my lower ball joints are bad. That makes sense to me, they said the uppers and tie rod ends have been changed already. That wasn't a surprise or the worst news.

They also said that both my front z55 autoride struts were froze solid and wouldn't move. That is kinda hard to believe. I didn't get anything fixed and picked it and brought it home. It doesn't drive, or handle terrible. It seems pretty normal for a truck suspension. I stepped on the back bumper and can see the suspension shocks go down and rebound up. But, when I put all my weight on either of the front fenders I cant seem to get the front of the Sub to move at all. I went to a dealership after it closed and pushed down on a few on the lot and they feel about the same as mine. Is this amount of firmness normal?

How do I tell if the front struts are froze? Does the repair shop just not realize how stiff these suspensions are?

I really like the new to me suburban, I hope it's just a case of them not being familar with autoride but I"m usually not that luchk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that the Autoride struts "fail" in the really firm setting, opposite of traditional shocks/struts that get really soft when worn. I unplugged mine and drove a few miles once and it rode much better, but felt top-heavy and dangerous when turning so I plugged them back in.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to check them? Scan tool? Troubleshoot procedure? So if they fail they don’t show an error light on the dash?

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a second opinion, keeping in mind that's some expensive work and quick money as well. Have you thought greasing the front suspension ? Ball joints especially rely on good lubrication, just a thought, good luck.
David g............:)

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took that idea, and looks like struts are good :), the cv axle boot was torn open and all teh grease was pushed out, probabaly causing the noise I heard. So one issue corrected but now another issue for another thread.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to check them? Scan tool? Troubleshoot procedure? So if they fail they don’t show an error light on the dash?

Well, I guess I should elaborate. I meant "fail" in the sense of "wear out". If they actually fail (break) such as the electrical circuit in them fails/is damaged or if the wiring going to them is damaged or even disconnected, then you should get some sort of a "Service suspension" warning message.

My guess is that the struts wear out like any normal strut which makes it soft, so the computer constantly keeps them energized which makes the fluid thick which makes the strut extra firm.

So, your struts haven't exactly "failed", but they're likely worn out at 144K miles. They're still usable and all, just gonna ride firmly.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front is fixed! :), both front struts were faulty after all, and the CV axle boot was torn open so the axle and boot were were replaced. Drives/Rides much better than before and no noise. Still have questions about the rear in my other post. But the fronts are great now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh