Help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorCal Nali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am currently in the process of installing a double din into my '01 Denali and I am having major issues. What I need to solve ASAP though is my gear selection lights (P R N D 3 2 1) are not illuminating on! I had a stereo shop install all the wiring for the double din yesterday and they wired a switch to imitate the emergency brake being applied/taken off in order to play DVD's while in drive. When removing the cage for the stereo I clipped this wire thinking I would splice them back together afterwards. I did this and then started my car and the gear selection lights were off. Any ideas??? Please help me.

txsmainevent

"The Lurker"
Reaction score
I had this happen too when installing a new radio in mine. It ended up being a fuse blown. Also with the "parking brake" bypass, on the second small harness for my 02 Hoe there was a ground wire. I just tapped in that.

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
Reconnect the wire you "snipped", and see if the indicators work again...that's step 1
All aftermarket stereo's that play DVD's have a brown wire that is supposed to, according to "the law" go to the e-brake(usually has a "safety" label on that wire), so that when it is applied it will show a picture on the screen.
All the stereo place had to do was tie in that brown wire with the ground(black) wire for the stereo. Having a permanent ground on that brown wire allows the stereo to show a picture when playing DVD's, regardless of what the gear selector position is.

OP
OP
NorCal Nali

NorCal Nali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ended up replacing the radio fuse under the hood and that did the trick. A lot of unwanted stress solved easily