Help Please: 2015 Yukon XL Test Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So My friend asked me to help him with a possible purchase of a 2015 Yukon XL, SLT he found today. It has 45k miles, clean carfax report. I'm going with him on the test drive today. Here are some possible issues that I've learned to look for from the forum but want to make sure I have everything covered. I apologize if someone else has already answered this question, if so please paste the link. Thanks!

1- drive 38mph- 45mph over rough roads to determine buffeting/vibration issues

2- drive 75mph+ to check suspension issues

Anything else specific to the 2015 Yukon XL SLT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PivotalRex

Reaction score
For the buffeting, I believe I read that another way to check is to drive 45 mph and put the rear windows down so that you get the buffeting effect then roll them up and see if there's any hint of it still being there.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the running boards and make sure they work and if you feel the transmission slap or shift hard when you put it in forward or reverse or if it hunts for gears RUN.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hwy buffeting (basically ear pressure) typically starts around 45-50mph and then again around 60mph. booming is at low speeds.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I was able to help out my friend avoid the painful buffeting gremlins. Sure enough, it had the buffet bug. It took a while of driving and maintaining speeds of 40-50, but then it happened. Bullet dodged.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I was able to help out my friend avoid the painful buffeting gremlins. Sure enough, it had the buffet bug. It took a while of driving and maintaining speeds of 40-50, but then it happened. Bullet dodged.

Nice.

What year vehicle?

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice.

What year vehicle?
It was a 2015 Yukon XL SLT. It looked great! Engine sounded great too from the outside. But oh that buffeting will sober anyone up quick.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would recommend a 2015(+) to anyone. I am not sure if the 2016 models are any better with the buffeting, tranny issues, electronic glitches, suspension squeaks and harshness over choppy roads.
I know the issues can be resolved with some work. But mine has all kinds of little issues that I have learned to deal with mostly because it is a leased vehicle and I will be giving it back next year.
Although I would rather buy my XL used at $40k than $80k new. ;)

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what exactly causes the buffeting? It hasn't gone away the new ones still have it. Someone told me that it is actually a faulty roof/headliner design and that the roof flexes too much and causes it between it and the headliner and that their is no fix until they come out with a new body. It only happens in suburbans and XLs from what I understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63