Help out a Tahoe buddy; Need to replace all shocks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexgold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new to the forum and have a question. I hope someone here has way more knowledge than me.

I have a 2004 Tahoe z71 and I can feel hear knocks while i drive, after doing some research its time to replace the original shocks. I have 162k miles on the truck and 95% of my driving is in the city. I go offroad maybe once a year and its not even that crazy of offroad. Took my camry there last time and made it.

Anyways, Im looking for recommendations. IS it best to replace with OEM or something aftermarket like KYB or Bilstein.

Whats the pros and cons of all, and keep in mind im broke and cant afford a super system. But Im scared if I dont replace the shocks other stuff will go, like arms and bushings.

Any advice is appreciated.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only con I would see with going with a better aftermarket quality shock will be that, none of those will be cheap. It also depends if you want to get a soft or harder ride or if you offroad/tow. I would personally just go with OEM as those won't break the bank and would be fairly balanced for dd. and light offroad. That's just my opinion as those can be had for 35 dollars a piece. Or you could go for really good shocks and spend over 70 dollars a piece.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bilstein FTW and they're not much more expensive than OEM but you also might have Autoride in the rear which utilizes a compressor and shocks with air bladders. If so, you'll need to research how to disable that otherwise fixing that system can get expensive even with OEM depending on if your compressor is burned out. So first do some investigating and find out what you have, then come back here for some more info.