Help on replacing component speakers on '03 Yukon:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AudioFile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed an Alpine receiver/media player (iDA-X305s) and a 100W X 4 amplifier (PDX-F4), but haven't touched the stock speakers ...yet. I will be changing the front/rear door speakers soon, but I want to hear from someone who's installed component speakers on all doors (or had an installer do the work).

I know the front speakers are component type speakers (easy to see). I think the 2nd row door speakers are the same, except the tweeters are in the rear 3rd seat posts, right? If so, then they must be connected together, in parallel.

If I purchase an Alpine component speaker (Bass/Tweet) package w/crossover, then I need to know that there's nothing between the rear speakers but wires, no separate crossover hiding somewhere.

Any advice?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i actually put a good set of components up front, with seperate tweeter/mid, and used a good set of coax in rear doors. You can add components in front and rear if you'd like, but you can use coax in rear and be just fine. I'd run new, larger speaker wire gauge from your amp to your new speakers. Don't splice in and use the old factory stuff.
Get good power wire and RCA's, they will either carry a good signal and power, or translate garbage with a bad set. All can be ran down the driver side, down the door sills.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with blueflamed03; drop a nice set of components in the front and coaxials in the rears. I've been installing for almost 20 yrs and blueflamed's been in the biz also. An ideal system with proper staging and imaging has the sound focused up front, with the rear speakers used only as fill.
To answer your question, the rear doors have a full-range signal going to them. But I'd use new wires from the amp to the speakers for best performance.

OP
OP
AudioFile

AudioFile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rear post speakers...

OK, thanks guys. I think I'll be running new wires to the speakers then.

I still am stumped on the rear speakers... My '03 appears to have two (2) speakers on each rear side: One in the 2nd row door, and a small tweeter on the 3rd row post. If I place coaxial speakers in the doors, and leave the tweeter in the rear, untouched, then won't the tweeter distort at higher power levels?

Cut out the rear tweeter, and go with coaxial, or replace them with component speakers?

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear doors are coaxials from factory. The small tweeter in the 3rd row post is not really part of a component from your rear door but just a smaller seperate speaker. Most on here add a sub and ignore the 3rd post speaker because the sound coming from them is irrelevant.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just leave the rear d-pillar speakers out of the loop. GM only put those there for 3rd row passengers. For sound quality, I'd leave them out.

OP
OP
AudioFile

AudioFile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RE: 2nd door speakers:

Thanks for the great comments. I feel more prepared to go into the speaker install now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2