Help identifying my supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownH2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just purchased my H2 last week, I've always liked them and have been looking for a decent one for a very long time. And voila.i found a whipple supercharged one. It's a 2003 with 62k miles and no real issues....except for a slight "marbles in a blender sound" while at idle. not horrible just annoying, no loss of power, and it stops as soon as it gets some throttle. I noticed the tensioner was jumping quite a bit, so I replaced it, and the jumping has gone down to half of what it was, and the sound has gone away slightly with it, but I still have a small jump. Anyways. I have a feeling something is off inside of the sc. My issue is, I have no idea of which rebuild kit I should buy, because I'm not sure which whipple I have. Maybe someone can chime in, who has one, knows the model, or knows of something else that can be causing it? Maybe a how - to. I don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to, nor tear it apart if I'm not going to rebuild it. If you need more info, just ask.

thank you in advance.29_181450_2f3bdae89c9242f0d29f19ff838bcd00e955cada.jpg
23_175559_8a328e03afe3b93dae0e89368adf74f9d5007011.jpg

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure how many variations there are of them, but searching "LS side mount whipple" shouldnt yield to many results, almost sure they arent made any more. and i think they're all 2.3L twin screw. did you look all around it for a nameplate or serial number stamped on it?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the belt off, then turn the pulley back and forth, like turn it right then snap it left hard, if you feel and hear a click its just the coupler. i know first hand on a m90 it sounds like rocks inside the blower at idle when its bad.

if the coupler is tight feeling, then fire it up for a minute belt off. if the sound is gone 100% it could be the bearings in the rear of the case.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be a serial # on the snout or elsewhere, then email Whipple with it and they should be able to help you out. Also send them some pictures along with that.

OP
OP
B

BlownH2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
take the belt off, then turn the pulley back and forth, like turn it right then snap it left hard, if you feel and hear a click its just the coupler. i know first hand on a m90 it sounds like rocks inside the blower at idle when its bad.

if the coupler is tight feeling, then fire it up for a minute belt off. if the sound is gone 100% it could be the bearings in the rear of the case.

Unfortunately, the supercharger does not have a dedicated belt to the crank, it runs on the serpentine belt....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the supercharger does not have a dedicated belt to the crank, it runs on the serpentine belt....
It's fine to run for a minute or two. Do it when the engine is cool so it doesn't overheat. The alternator, water pump, PS pump, etc aren't needed for a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos