Help... Blower motor or switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grill/brush guard is a Westin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it their sportsman model?

Are you powering the lights from an aftermarket switch? Some trucks had a factory Auxiliary or fog light switch that fit to the left of the radio. I was thinking of seeing if those could be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 light's on there are using the switch that came with them. Thats an older pic and I've got 2 smaller PIAA driving lights between them now. Those are hooked up to a factory fog lamp switch in the dash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dmhscorpio

Reaction score
I have had experience with this. The blower motor runs through the resistor for the lower speeds. High speed bypasses the resistor via a relay. Often the problem is the motor pulls too much current and melts the plug on the back of the switch. It should pull about 6 amps. The last defective motor I changed was pulling 11.2 amps, which has melted the plug a couple of times until I figured it out. The motor sounded fine, so I assumed it was OK. The resistor had gone previously, which i had changed.
If the fan runs fine on only high, I would check the resistor.
If it intermittently works on the lower speeds, I would check the plug. If it is melted, check the current draw on the fan motor.
I was offered a chinese motor for 40% less than a Delco, but opted for the Delco one. It takes less than 30 minutes to change the fan motor.
dmh

OP
OP
Scootinz

Scootinz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What brand grill guards are y'all using?

Back to the original question, here are the blower motor diagnostics for a 1998, hope it helps...

7B7B8C2D-29B0-4BAB-BA32-8ACD21D6C311_zpspi6fsqbj.gif

4D217F0C-B473-4E73-B12F-D2CA1523CD4F_zps7u9wmcgw.gif

5790EA39-0EB1-4127-8284-5DBD280CB2FD_zps5icyr2r3.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THNAKS! Great help. I was gonna peek at it yesterday but yard work consumed me. Now with the nice weather not much of an issue, but I do plan on ripping into it soon. Thank you for taking the time to post this. This will be really helpful!!! Have a great week!

OP
OP
Scootinz

Scootinz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had experience with this. The blower motor runs through the resistor for the lower speeds. High speed bypasses the resistor via a relay. Often the problem is the motor pulls too much current and melts the plug on the back of the switch. It should pull about 6 amps. The last defective motor I changed was pulling 11.2 amps, which has melted the plug a couple of times until I figured it out. The motor sounded fine, so I assumed it was OK. The resistor had gone previously, which i had changed.
If the fan runs fine on only high, I would check the resistor.
If it intermittently works on the lower speeds, I would check the plug. If it is melted, check the current draw on the fan motor.
I was offered a chinese motor for 40% less than a Delco, but opted for the Delco one. It takes less than 30 minutes to change the fan motor.
dmh

Thanks for this info! Haven't dug into it yet. It's on my short list though. I have absolutely nothing no blower at any speed. Checked fuses and relays they were fine. As I mentioned in a previous post it has been intermittent and the fan speed switch felt funky like something possibly broke inside of it. It wasn't very smooth anymore. Or maybe like you said the motor is pulling too much current and melted the switch. Something's up though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne