help, anything to improve this without a full restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got myself a used set of ltz 5 spoke wheels, overall they aren't bad, really dirty in these pics but the area that I'd like to improve is around the valve stems and what I believe was the area under the wheels weights at one time on the wheels. I thought about sanding just this area with some 1000 or 1500 and then hand polishing it. Anyone here ever done anything short of having them completely stripped and recleared?

thanks,
full

full

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks to me like it's pitting from road salts and chemicals used during the winter. You could try sanding and re-coat it, just that area. Maybe some clear nail polish (it's a cheap, clear touch-up enamel).

With as extensive as that looks, it might be easier to just do the whole wheel though...

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks to me like it's pitting from road salts and chemicals used during the winter. You could try sanding and re-coat it, just that area. Maybe some clear nail polish (it's a cheap, clear touch-up enamel).

With as extensive as that looks, it might be easier to just do the whole wheel though...
X2

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some thought, your best bet may be:

1) sell them

or,

2) get them stripped and powder coated (this will smooth out the pits)

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since they’re OEM 20’s you may find a wheel repair/refinishing shop that has a matching set that are refinished already and just pay to do an exchange so you don’t have any down time. This can make things easier if it’s your daily driver..