Help a newbie: air tools & compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I use my snap On cordless impact almost daily and it keeps up good with lug nuts no problem. I use a MG725 for daily use on anything suspension / frame related and it's never let me down in the 6 years I've been using it.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the question is this.

For me, I'd want to get that cordless gun behind the rotor area so that I can easily get the caliper bracket bolts off, which I'm assuming are going to be frozen shut on my truck.

Will I have enough clearance to get it back there?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me, I'd want to get that cordless gun behind the rotor area so that I can easily get the caliper bracket bolts off, which I'm assuming are going to be frozen shut on my truck.

For that id use a 1/2 ratchet, a piece of galv pipe and BFH. I dont think any impact gun is gonna touch those(homeowner stuff).....imo

Last edited:

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please recommend impact wrench specs and compressor specs for a guy to rotate tires, replace brake rotors & pads, suspension components, etc.

I agree with most of the replies in this thread. I grew up using air tools since my father had a large compressor in his wood working shop and had hose connection in every garage bay.

Since I moved out and set up my garage in my house I assumed that I would do similar, but for the amount that I would use it I ended up going the corded route. I picked up an ancient Rockwell electric impact wrench (1/2" drive) at a yard sale for the big things, a cordless lithium Milwaukee impact driver, and a harbor freight grinder / cut-off wheel. So far those have been enough for all the projects I've done to my Yukon and the travel trailer I rehabed.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good question.

I'm an impact wrench rookie, but I'd bet you'll probably get them off with a decent impact wrench. You may just need to let the torque build up for a minute or more per bolt. Access will be the bigger issue, so you'll likely need an extension and a universal/swivel socket.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For that id use a 1/2 ratchet, a piece of galv pipe and BFH. I dont think any impact gun is gonna touch those(homeowner stuff).....imo

I tried this on my 2013 Impala LTZ and breaking off the caliper bolts was an absolute bear. It took me half a day on a hot summer day, with tons of elbow grease and dreaming up a contraption where I used the leverage of a hydraulic lift on the end of the ratchet + pipe to get it cracked off.

Not going through that mess again is my goal.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ditched the idea of a compressor and bought the Milwaukee impact gun. One of the best investments ever!

mbp1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ditched the idea of a compressor and bought the Milwaukee impact gun. One of the best investments ever!

That was a good idea it's a lot easier to use than a air impact very rarely will I grab my snap on air impact anymore cordless is much easier. I don't have to wait on the compressor to air up don't have to unwind the hose and wind it back up. Just a lot quicker. However everyone does need a compressor eventually. The other good thing about you investing in a Milwaukee impact is they make awesome cordless tools and you can add all kinds of bare tools in the future.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That was a good idea it's a lot easier to use than a air impact very rarely will I grab my snap on air impact anymore cordless is much easier. I don't have to wait on the compressor to air up don't have to unwind the hose and wind it back up. Just a lot quicker. However everyone does need a compressor eventually. The other good thing about you investing in a Milwaukee impact is they make awesome cordless tools and you can add all kinds of bare tools in the future.

Believe me, I'm on the same line of thinking. But for me, it would be useless if I can't get it behind the knuckle to get the caliper bolts out.

I'm doing the brakes tomorrow, and doing it all via hand tools. I never had a flex head 1/2" driver, so I'm hoping the new one I bought which is about 18" long will help me with the job.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: brakes done.

The key? It was indeed the 18" flex head ratchet. Breaking the caliper bracket bolts loose was EASY. I'm not saying they weren't tight; they were indeed frozen shut and with Loctite, also not to mention I did the work in 25 degree weather. What I'm saying is that I was surprised how easy it was compared to using a 12" ratchet, which is what I used on my Impala. I tried with the old ratchet as well, and taking off a caliper bolt on the truck was literally impossible. Switched back to the 18" ratchet, easy peasy. Got everything replaced and speced wtih the proper torque settings for caliper bracket, caliper pins, and wheels.

So now I have all new Akebono ceramic pads and Centric cryo-treated rotors. Took it for a spin to get them broken in, and man oh man, I've never felt such stopping power before. It's amazing.

The most difficult thing by far doing the brake job was lifting up the wheels. Those things are heavy. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345