HELP! 2008 Tahoe intermittently won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichelleB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My friends 2008 tahoe won't start sometimes randomly. She said she has problems sometimes turning the key so I'm thinking the ignition switch. Any how to videos showing if it's hard to change. I'm trying to decide if her and I can tackle it or bring it to the shop like her husband says.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problems turning the key may or may not be related to it not starting. By not starting, does she mean the key not turning or does she mean she gets the key to turn to the cranking position, but the engine doesn't crank? Or does it crank, but not fire up?

Of course, the first step would be to address the key cylinder issue. Is her key a copy? Is it worn? Or is it a copy made from a worn original? Does she have other keys she can try to see if anything improves? You can have a new key made at the dealer based off the VIN. This will eliminate having a copy made from a worn original, which will give you a "new worn" key.

OP
OP
MichelleB

MichelleB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great idea...I'll have to look at her key. She has problems getting the key to turn. She said she always has to wiggle it.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, does she turn the wheel all the way and shut it off thus locking the wheel in a position where the key wont turn until you pull the wheel the other way?......

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, does she turn the wheel all the way and shut it off thus locking the wheel in a position where the key wont turn until you pull the wheel the other way?......

GMT900s don't have this feature. It's how they're stolen so easily. You can yank on the shifter hard enough to break it's lock to put it in neutral, then steer the car away with someone pushing.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? My 2016 work chevy van does.....ima ginna check that when i get home......not that i don't believe you......:D

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea...I'll have to look at her key. She has problems getting the key to turn. She said she always has to wiggle it.

Let's hope both problems are related and are solved by fixing or replacing the key cylinder. Has she tried lubricating it? Use a dry lube like a graphite spray.

Don't forget about the other details with the crank but no start or...?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? My 2016 work chevy van does.....ima ginna check that when i get home......not that i don't believe you......:D

I don't know about the work vans (what platform is that?). But the GMT900 ('07-'14) don't have it. There are videos on YouTube showing thieves stealing Tahoes, Escalades, etc. in seconds with one person breaking in and another behind them in a push car.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the work vans (what platform is that?). But the GMT900 ('07-'14) don't have it. There are videos on YouTube showing thieves stealing Tahoes, Escalades, etc. in seconds with one person breaking in and another behind them in a push car.
I believe you...:D