Header install/DTC Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Decrow

Decrow

Reaction score
Update/Question:

Good morning all,
This is an update/question regarding MPG.
According to my AVG. MPG Readout, prior to the header install, the comp maintained a reading of 21.7-21.8 MPG. and I could go 10-12 days between fill-ups (12 days based on 3 day weekends). After the header install and resetting the MPG readout (on Tues), so far It has maintained a reading above 23 MPG (23.1 the lowest). Now, using math to show true MPG, I’m getting 22.5 MPG. (225 miles, 10 Gallons). So, what I’m getting from this is before the header install I was actually getting more around the lines of 20-21 MPG. I conclude that the headers helped me gain better gas mileage. Again my drive is mixed FWY and streets with some hills, speeds are between 50-70. Now, if you guys want I can wait another week before the CAI install to verify MPG increase, or just go ahead and install the CAI and see what happens. Also could you guys check your True Vs. Avg MPG, so we can see if there is a close margin.

Thanks

shizon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My biggest concern right now about mods is just that there's no software available to tune these trucks. Drives me nuts! I wish HPT could do it. I know they were working on it, but I don't know if they still are or not.

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the update.. I would have to agree.. A tune for these trucks would be amazing. Im sure we could have them getting around 30mpg if that ever becomes the case..

OP
OP
Decrow

Decrow

Reaction score
Volant update

Good morning everyone,
I Installed the Volant CAI on Sat. Installation is very easy, with minor tool usage (10MM, 8MM, hex head driver). Not sure how long install took; I had an Airaid TB spacer I had to remove first.
I did notice a decrease in MPG, because at wide open throttle the sound is AWESOME!! After putting my foot through the floor any chance I got, I had to compose myself. So driving into work this morning, the AVG. was 21.7, when I got to work it had raised to 22.1. I will have to what it reads when I get home. Going back to Sat when I was playing, I’m not sure how much HP I really gained, but I was able to spin the back tires until the TC kicked in, I’ll have to shut that off next time, wait this is about fuel efficiency… Anyway acceleration has improved, until you hit the electric to transmission lull, then there is hesitation for a second and then more acceleration, this happens at the wrong times, like when merging into traffic on the freeway. This is experienced on the stock version also, just now it’s more noticeable if you try and do a 0-60 run. So I will spend the next week driving conservatively and updating you guys on my findings.
Until next time.
PS pics to follow.

OP
OP
Decrow

Decrow

Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Filter installed.jpg
    Filter installed.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Volant complete 4.jpg
    Volant complete 4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 163

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic brotha! Thanks for all you updates, pics, etc.. I totally hear you in regards to mashing it all the time now. Intakes really wake up the engine sound. Was any dremeling or cutting needed to make the filter fit.. Also, if you dont mind me asking, where and how $ did you pick it up for:) Your making my list grow longer and longer

OP
OP
Decrow

Decrow

Reaction score
Brandon,
Thanks for the feed back. No cutting required. I have too, read posts were people had to cut some metal, but if you remove the plate were the stock filter box sits, and tuck under the wire loom, you can use the existing bolt holes and put at least two in to the new air filter box, if you wanted to do all for bolts (no need IMO) then just drilling larger holes in the plastic Volant box will do. I will post pics of this.

I bought the CAI and Headers from AutoAnything.com
http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/61A1817A0A0A2656260.aspx

There was another website offering $40 less for the same intake, so I asked them to match or beat the price. When time to check out they had given me $100 discount on my order (still was $600) and there is a $20 mail-in rebate from Volant.

Here is the other site to use for leverage.
http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/1525361.html

AutoAnything was very helpful, and with the posted reviews at the bottom of the product page, you can see how others felt about their item.

OP
OP
Decrow

Decrow

Reaction score
In order; Stock air box, Stock box removed, mounting plate removed, Wire loom relocated, Volant box installed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Inside Stock filter box.jpg
    Inside Stock filter box.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 151
  • Stock Air box plate.jpg
    Stock Air box plate.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Stock Air box plate Removed.jpg
    Stock Air box plate Removed.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Adjusted wire loom.jpg
    Adjusted wire loom.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Volant air box.jpg
    Volant air box.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 147

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup man! I def wasnt expecting that. Its good to know that no cutting is required, bc I too had read that on greenhybrids.. I hear you when it comes to autoanything. They are the best and price match with not much hassle. I got my wifes Takeda intake from there. Thanks again.. Whats next?

OP
OP
Decrow

Decrow

Reaction score
Next will be getting a Catback system. Not sure of which one its between JBA (same as my headers) & Gibson. AutoAnything is $100+ cheaper on the JBA, then JBA itself, plus free shipping from AA. Or maybe do a Magnaflow muffler with a turn down. I would like to lower it at some point, I was thinking 3/5. Not sure if that will be to low on the chin plastic. Anyone have issues with their drop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14