HD Conversion anyone?helpp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought outside the box. How about fabbing up a relocation bracket and modifying the bumper as needed? That would keep you from having to cut and weld.

OP
OP
01HDtahoeNJN

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
I'm going to keep looking between school and work I really don't have the time to do fab work nor am I experienced enough although I do work in a machine shop at school... But the shops don't wanna get involved wtf.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
01HDtahoeNJN

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Same here. I don't think it's ever gonna get done.

Well I'm getting mine done..I have wanted this for too long..my bumpers on by two bolts and I'm ordering new horns bc mine are fugged up from my fender bender... Just needa find a place first... This really suxxx.

Also I broke half the clips on my stocker bumper cap so I went and bought a hd cap for 85& change on eBay so I really don't feel like going the process of sending it back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
01HDtahoeNJN

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Okay! So tomorrow I have the day off from work...sooOOoo... I will be traveling to 3-4 bodyshops looking for a shop that will man the f@ck up and weld this ish a 1.25" lower... Bc this needs to be done.. Will update tomorrow!

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep suggesting this. Skip the body shops guys. As a rule of business, anything that can potentially destroy a vehicle and create undue liability for a business will not be done unless the gain offsets the potential losses. If you find a frame repair shop to do this mod, it will not be cheap. Keep in mind you are asking them to alter the structure of the vehicle. This may not even be legal, hence all the difficulty. Find a shop that fabricates race cars, hot rods and customs. That will be your best bet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
01HDtahoeNJN

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Yes...BUT if they were working on a silvy 00-02 theyed weld it a 1.25" lower so....idk i just feel using a race car shop, hot rods and customs we'll be even more expensive?!

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually no. The light duty and HD trucks have different frames, that's why there is the needed relocation of your truck's horns.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
deleted by me. Hulk was coming out of me.

Last edited:

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by this quote, i rather like it. Just not sure i understand it correctly. A business would do something, as long as the potential losses were less than the work that was performed? Im going to school for business is why i like this.

Alex, since this is the net, i must say it, i am in no way arguing w/ you, or saying your wrong, just stating what my knowledge is and what i have learned over the years of being at a body shop, being a manager of one, and working in wrecked cars, car auctions w/ frame rules, for basically my whole life, which isnt that long, just have been in auto business since i was born. I just find others views on vehicle repairs, altercations, interesting. Really is all, so please dont take what i say in the wrong way. If we were in person, it would be over lunch or a beer. lol. :Handshake:

No offense taken Mike. I was really just trying to oversimplify an idea so the OP and other readers could understand.

Here's what I was saying. As a business your goal, in the simplist sense, is to generate profit, not just revenues. With this goal in mind the business (to be referenced as "you" from now on), will take work where your costs/expenses are covered by the amount charged. Initially, one might consider employee time, costs to keep the facility open (power, lights, rent, etc) as the primary expenses. However, good will in the community and potential liability are variables also to be considered. That being said, someone may offer you $50,000 to burn tires in your parking lot, which seems like easy money. But if you were caught, you may face $75,000 in fines and the potential loss of your license to operate at your current location. On the other hand, if you are altering the safety equipment that came on the vehicle, it may be profitable as far as labor and time, but it could open you up to liability down the road if the driver were to get into an accident. Both of these would skew the cost/benefit away from your benefit.

As it seems you have much more experience in the auto repair industry than I, you can understand that a job that seems exceedingly simple, but as you noted, is a "waste of time" would imply that there is no benefit in doing the work.

All this seems to be a very long winded way of saying that by whichever method these businesses determine profit, this is not a profitable job and they would rather turn it away.

Back to the OP, no harm in asking everyone. Ask anyone in sales, it takes 7-8 NOs to get to a YES.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods