Have developed a rough idle. Cause/Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike06train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rough idle is usually caused from either dirty injectors, MAF or Throttle body. My wifes Yukon had it. I cleaned the MAF & TB and it still had it. I ran Injector cleaner Once a month and it smoothed out in the third month.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have the rough idle. Maybe it's been made a little better, but it's certainly still there.

I wonder if my 40-25 mph "chugging," monthly CEL, and this rough idle are all related...

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the Tahoe at the dealership yesterday (mainly for a recurring CEL). After replacing the purge valve, they ran an injection cleaner through the system. Whereas get up and go feels better, I still have a rough idle.

What else could it be?

Thanks.

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the Tahoe at the dealership yesterday (mainly for a recurring CEL). After replacing the purge valve, they ran an injection cleaner through the system. Whereas get up and go feels better, I still have a rough idle.

What else could it be?

Thanks.
Found this on another forum, and it sounds as legit as anything else I have read on the subject. Still doesn't help the situation unfortunately...

"You’ll find that if you test drive a similar vehicle it will most likely act the same, this is normal and requires no repair. The emissions calibrations required to meet California's strict standards necessitate a leaner on-idle fuel ratio, this can cause a slight chop at idle depending on outside temperature and altitude (worse the lower you are).. This calibration increases the exhaust temperature which reduces tailpipe emissions, it turns the by-products of combustion into soot which is blown out the exhaust pipe (in very small amounts) and causes the tailpipe to accumulate the black deposits more so than a federally spec’d Tahoe. "

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KMeloney,
When you were at the dealership were you there just for the CEL or did you have them check out the rough idle? This may be something 'normal' for these vehicles. Let us know what you find out.
Breanne
GM Customer Service

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KMeloney,
When you were at the dealership were you there just for the CEL or did you have them check out the rough idle? This may be something 'normal' for these vehicles. Let us know what you find out.
Breanne
GM Customer Service

If this is 'normal' behavior for any late model vehicle, then color me astonished. I can honestly say there is no way I would have bought this truck if I knew this was considered 'normal'. It is not a subtle hiccup, it is a full shudder at idle. Unacceptable.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KMeloney,
Breanne
GM Customer Service

Hi Breanne --

I completely forgot to mention the rough idle, specifically, at the dealership. Assuming that a few of my issues were all related, I failed to mention it (but probably believed that it would be remedied with any other remedy there might have been). Turns out that the rough idle did NOT improve with the replacement of the purge valve and the injector cleaning. It's my own fault that I didn't mention it. I meant to, and I just forgot to.

I have to pick up a new door lock plunger that they ordered for me, so I'll ask about [them] doing a TB cleaning and idle re-learn when I go there. Maybe they can perform these things relatively quickly.

Either way, like Faceplant said, I am not interested in hearing that a rough idle that DEVELOPED OVER TIME is "normal." I don't consider behavior that I didn't experience within the first year or two to be "normal" when it pops up later. If the truck always idled roughly, well, that wouldn't be good, but could be normal. When it idles perfectly, then becomes rough years later, then I can't buy the whole "normal" thing.

matticus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have this exact issue on my 2004 Z71 Tahoe 5.3. Although, in addition, my RPMs seem to increase +/- 300 when I'm cruising around 50mph with steady pressure on the pedal. Have been to two dealerships in NW Arkansas and neither have been able to diagnose anything because there is no code. Granted, I've got 95k miles, but I have a GMPP Majorguard warranty until 105k miles. BOTH dealerships have turned me away because, with no code, the rough idle is "normal". Additionally, my truck nearly stalls out at idle, especially when I come to a stop or when I'm turning at low speeds in a parking lot. In fact, last time I picked it up at the dealership it died out when the tech was pulling it out of the service bay.

This is something that only recently developed in the last 2k miles. I have cleaned the throttle body, MAF, and filter. I have had a GM fuel injector treatment at the dealership. I've tried BG44k per the dealer's request. I've replaced spark plugs and wires (delco OEM). I've had the fuel pump and tank module replaced. I've had the intake manifold checked for leaks (went beyond carb cleaner spray and had it hooked up to a 'smoke machine' to be tested). I've replaced the battery and alternator.

I'm at my wits end and having taken it in and paid almost $300 for diagnostic work (only to find nothing) when I paid for an extended warranty is just ridiculous. Neither dealership will even look at the truck again because they say "No code? No problems! Must be just 'normal' for this truck."

But it's not. I drove it for 30k miles when I bought it from the original owner without a single problem.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record, I still have the rough idle. Nothing has done the trick so far.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey remember my pinging sound my kon made when accelerating even on a flat surface. Well I started using that lucas injector cleaner and it kinda helped. But it was completely gone when I put my stock wheels back on. Weird right? I know that sounds stupid but I don't hear the pinging sound I heard before. I don't know if the Lucas just took a late affect but the pinging is not there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk