Has anyone ever shipped a complete dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked on ebay to figure out how much a dash from these trucks sell for. I have to go pull one at the yard for a friend of mine. Needed a price to make it worth my while, and not screw him over. Seems the going rate for the 95-99 dash ranges from $600 - 850, depending on year, and how complete the dash is. Most of the dashboards I found have free shipping. One dash selling for $875, has a $100 shipping fee. I'm no ebay expert, but I do know shipping depends on the weight of the item, as well as the distance it's being shipped. I'm trying to figure out if I can make money pulling these things, and selling them online. My buddy and I have been going to Pull-A-Part a lot more lately, and the GMT-400 is plentiful. I should be able to find quite a few in good condition, between the 3 yards near me. If I can get something set up with a shipping company, I would be more than willing to provide any other needed parts online, to make a little extra money. I just don't understand how so many sellers can offer free shipping when they don't know where they have to ship. Do they just get a quote for the highest shipping cost, and quote everyone the same price?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its light, prolly bout the only thing you got going for ya. Figure out dimensions, in a box obviously, plug those #’s into ups shipping calculator to the furthest place from you and go from there.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they're just figuring on the price for shipping the farthest and adding it into the selling price. You need to figure out the dimensions and weight, then go to UPS or FedEx website and get a quote. EBay sellers get about a 5% discount on ups when you link your EBay account with a UPS account.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shipping a dash is going to run you about $100 (fedex ground) give or take a little depending on how far it has to go and how proficient you are at packing it in a minimum size box, what makes the price so much is the size. If it is shipping within your postal zone (usually your state and parts of close surrounding states) then it can be cheaper to send usps but there max size is 108" (surface mail) which is calculated by length+girth or rather (length plus all other 4 side's combined), so lets say your box is 65" long and two sides are 10" and two sides are 12" then your total size is 109" which is 1" to much and they may return it and you wont get a shipping refund. shipping a dash is pretty much like shipping a bicycle and it's just not cheap. I have shipped some in the past I used to pull them out of the old school trans am's and Camaro's got pretty good at it had it down to about 15 mins, putting them back in was a different story, lol

OP
OP
Back N Black

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That information really helps me out!

shipping a dash is going to run you about $100 (fedex ground) give or take a little depending on how far it has to go and how proficient you are at packing it in a minimum size box, what makes the price so much is the size. If it is shipping within your postal zone (usually your state and parts of close surrounding states) then it can be cheaper to send usps but there max size is 108" (surface mail) which is calculated by length+girth or rather (length plus all other 4 side's combined), so lets say your box is 65" long and two sides are 10" and two sides are 12" then your total size is 109" which is 1" to much and they may return it and you wont get a shipping refund. shipping a dash is pretty much like shipping a bicycle and it's just not cheap. I have shipped some in the past I used to pull them out of the old school trans am's and Camaro's got pretty good at it had it down to about 15 mins, putting them back in was a different story, lol

Wow! That's a very thorough explanation, and it really helps. I'll have to see what kind of boxes I can find to ship them in. I figure the early OBS dashes will be extremely difficult to find in good condition, or maybe it's just because it's so damn hot where I live. Those might bring in a little more money, if I can even find any.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've shipped some pretty big stuff and when you enter package dimensions it shows you what weight you're allowed and it's always been way way more than what I'm shipping so I always thought they charge by weight based on size if that makes sense. I guess if you were to ship something big AND heavy, at some point it would push it into freight-only territory. I did receive a 4l60 transmission via UPS last year though although they had to remove the bell housing in order for UPS to take it. I figured it would have to come freight. Now THAT was big and heavy.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sent this the other day, ups... big bulky and heavy.... $130 from NY to the ass end of texas... same length as a dash but maybe not as tall or wide... but it was heavy...62045D5A-C954-41D6-B1C0-0C1C96A87215.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345