Has anyone done a full interior color change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rn4l21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have tan interior in my '01 Tahoe and I want to switch it to black but I'm worried about getting my seat belts to match because I've heard the dye will cause them to deteriorate. Any pointers on how to get my seat belts replaced or where to start with the color change?

Tankueray

Reaction score
I'm also interested in doing this. The easiest option I've found so far is to get a set of '01-'05 Avalanche or Silverado seats from the Junkyard. Problem is that the electronics from '03-'05 won't work with the '01-'02. In that case I might just switch out the padding, belts, and leather. IIRC, some of the trucks didn't have side airbags, so you'd either have to look specifically for those or get a trim shop to modify the cover as well. I haven't decided whether to go with grey or black yet, if grey then I have all the grey plastic and I want the 2nd row captain's chairs from a Suburban. In the end it will probably come down to what my salvage yards have and how much they want.

In the event that you can't find a whole set of decent truck seats, there are plenty of crappy seats available that you could get the black seat belts from.

Haven't heard that about dye, unless it was from a company with an interest in selling replacement parts. In my non-vehicle related adventures, I've found that synthetic fabric is hard to dye, usually requiring heat and/or chemicals to make the dye grab and to set it, so that may be another reason for the warning. Good 'ol Sharpie seems to be hard to get out of nylon, maybe you can satisfy your inner child with a coloring project. ;)

Alternatively, I've been wondering whether other seats without the integrated belt could be swapped in, and the belt mounted to the pillar. I haven't found any info on that yet.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I redid my interior with black leather but the tan seats belts match the look and I kinda like the contrast as of right now.

I need to take new pictures that I promised, I’ve been slacking on that.

The sun visors are reupholstered to match the headliner now too. And in case you’re wondering, yes, I installed black carpet as well

85C4E526-F5ED-4EE4-89FD-A7ADFE9AB6B7.jpeg

grim hurst

Reaction score
I redid my interior with black leather but the tan seats belts match the look and I kinda like the contrast as of right now.

The sun visors are reupholstered to match the headliner now too. And in case you’re wondering, yes, I installed black carpet as well

View attachment 196249
That is bad a$$ :favorites37:

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 196249
Any pics of the rear seat foam and frame with no covers?

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recovered the sunvisors myself
See I had an extra set and I was going to do on myself as well and took the light thing out of it and try to take it apart but that ****** is fused together so it would not open ended up breaking the shit out of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons