Hard to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hiwaycruzer

Reaction score
After my Tahoe sits for a few days, it takes 1/2 dozen attempts to start, sometimes more. When it finally does start, it does so in a halting, stumbling manner but smooths out pretty as you please in a few moments. I test drove with fuel gauge attached and found fuel pressure to be about 50-52 psi @ idle and around 60 under hard throttle. I left the gauge attached for about 15 minutes after shut off and pressure stayed above 50 psi. The engine runs smooth, has lots of power, and gets around 20 mpg on hwy. Restarts fine when warm. Fuel pump replaced @ 90k, fuel filter replaced less than 3k miles ago. I'm guessing the fuel pressure regulator is leaking down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1996 Tahoe, 4-dr, 4x4, 5.7, automatic, tow package, 3.42, 181k miles

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It maybe the fuel is leaking back into the tank over several days. I think there was supposed to be a check on the pump I thought and it may be stuck open. I think. Check pressure before you start and with it as you try to start to see how fast it builds.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine did this and it ended up being a bad spider, replaced it and truck runs 10 times better

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, may actually be leaking fuel from the spider and the engine is partially flooded.
Try some injector cleaner or seafoam in the tank and see if it cleans up....you should know in a tank of gas.

OP
OP
H

hiwaycruzer

Reaction score
Traveling at 65 mph in my 1996 Tahoe 4x4 with 4L60E, 3:42 gears, cruise control turned on, a/c turned off, running 265-75-R16 Michelin tires @40psi, burning 87 octane 100% gas with NO ETHANOL in a bone-stock engine, I consistently get 20-21 mpg round trip between Chattanooga and Warm Springs GA...

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

I added Seafoam to the fuel in 1-oz per 1-gal concentration about 3k miles ago, then drove 300 miles. A couple of months ago, I added Stabil to the fuel tank in a similar concentration. The engine fuel system should be squeaky-clean at this point.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
side note: how are you getting 20mpg on the freeway??

I get 20 mpg also on the highway and that's at 105 degrees with the ac on high and 3.73 gears.
Can't wait till winter, no ac and more timing with cold air.

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get 20 mpg also on the highway and that's at 105 degrees with the ac on high and 3.73 gears.
Can't wait till winter, no ac and more timing with cold air.

Hm, I also have 3.73 gearing. I should do an entire tank on the highway to see what I can do, because I average 13.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts