Grounding for light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bumptiouspig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is the right spot to ask or not. Feel free to move.

I bought a light bar for my 2012 avalanche and I have a question about grounding it. I've been searching the we for a while and couldn't find what I was looking for. I learned from my friends mistake not to ground to painted metal. I'm not very informed on this kind of stuff so I'm not sure where I can mount the ground to. Like just any bolt? I've heard of people sanding the paint off for a better connection, but then I've heard not to do that because it will just easily. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However you do it, it needs to be grounded to BARE metal with the same size wire as the 12V supply.

OP
OP
B

Bumptiouspig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
However you do it, it needs to be grounded to BARE metal with the same size wire as the 12V supply.
I've also seen that you can ground to the negative terminal. Will that work?

OP
OP
B

Bumptiouspig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you want to run a wire that far.
I mean the light will be mounted in the grill. Is that too far from the battery? I'm just worried about sanding the paint off and having it rust easy.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got studded terminal bolts, meaning i can bolt on a eyelet for power or ground. they are sold at most parts stores.

best ground you'll ever have. all my gauges are grounded there as well as a ic pump relay power lead and ground.

006.JPG

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to run a wire from your battery for +12VDC so just run another wire for the ground from the negative terminal. Then you won't ever have an issue the ground. My 2nd choice would be on the engine block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne