Ground wire locations??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frasier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Love the forum guys!! Lots of good info and already starting to do many upgrades I've read about here.

I am having the "flickering lights" issue and after reading about it, started the process of locating and cleaning the ground wire connections, to see if that helps. I traced the negative battery cable and found the connection to the engine block (the easy one).

I have not been able to find the other locations, and wondered if anyone has any info/pictures on their location?

I tried to trace a second wire and lose it where it appears to be heading into the front bumper. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully keep me from tearing the entire front end apart trying to find them.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Theres two grounds behind the front bumper - going to the frame. Just below the radiator support on either side. Check those. 10mm holding those on.

08SSV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely have to pull the bumper cover to get access to those grounding point. Not a big deal, just keep track of all your hardware and clips.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if its a ground issue you can simply run a ground for each headlight right to the frame, if that's what it is then the problem is solved. very easy to do.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
***this is not a detailed instruction and if you are not comfortable doing this I highly recommend taking it to a mechanic instead***

also I would try this with just one light first to see if the problem goes away on that one light bulb, if not then its probably something else and your not wasting your time on something that wont work.

Ya I would pictures but my Denali is rather cumbersome to pull the headlights from and the Denali is a dual beam system, it looks like the Tahoe has a separate hi/lo beam, you will need a electrical meter any cheap one that does 12vdc, connect the meter ground to the frame and then pull each headlight, (make sure your headlights are off first for a minute because the bulb gets really hot) remove the bulb and check the light bulb socket connector with the headlights on low beam, then check the hi-beam socket also, the wire without power is the ground wire. please note that the drivers side and passenger wires may be different (GM likes to do that) so check each side separately. if your not comfortable doing this I highly recommend taking it to a mechanic instead, but worst case scenario is you would blow a fuse if you did it wrong. when you find the ground wire just use a t-connector (don't cut your factory wire off) and run it to any convenient place on the frame, if the frame is painted or coated you may want to scuff the spot a little bit so that it gets a good ground to the metal, usually there is a already a bolt or various bolts on the front and you can just loosen one and connect to that. I would recommend using some 12-gauge wire because that will meet or exceed the factory wire. you may need to do a separate wire for both the hi and low beam grounds if the problem is happening with the lights on hi or low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne