Grinding noise while idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RusticSky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently started to hear a metal grinding noise from what I thought was one of the front wheels on my 2008 z71 Tahoe. I first heard the noise while turning at slow speeds so I thought it might be something with the front wheel, but every once in a while I will hear the same noise while idling. I can't seem to pin-point the source because I have not been able to get the noise to duplicate while I'm looking in the engine bay. I did change the serpentine and a/c belt a few months ago, and had the brakes changed, the front driver side needed a whole new caliper. I don't think they are related to the noise, but I don't know what to look for. No change to driving characteristics, but the sound is driving me nuts!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe its more of a rattle then a grinding? Check all your heat shields.
Sound clip would help

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was your idler pulley and belt tensioner? Did they spin freely? I had a pulley explode on my 99 burb and created a mess. Check those to rule them out.

AshleyT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Following. Please post if you figure it out. My 2004 Yukon XL Denali (AWD) recently started making similar noises after having the transmission replaced. Also had serpentine belt, A/C belt, and alternator replaced at the same time. Noise started about a week or 2 after that service, when turning at slow speeds. Usually the first 1-3 turns out of my driveway then after driving a few minutes it stops. And not every time. Recently we heard it while idling (2-3 times). Can't replicate for our mechanic though. I think he might think I'm crazy.

OP
OP
RusticSky

RusticSky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will definitely check the pulley when I get back from my trip. It would make sense after recently replacing it. I will test and report back. I will also try and record the sound.

OP
OP
RusticSky

RusticSky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So one thing I noticed was that the grinding noise only happens right around 1000rpm. I tested in drive, neutral, and park and can duplicate in all drive states. I recorded the serpentine pully and didn't notice it moving. Very frustrating to pin-point. No engine error code btw.

OP
OP
RusticSky

RusticSky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its hard to hear in the video but it happens right after I start accelerating. Around 1000rpm.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't hear it through the video, but if you pulled the idler pulley and checked the bearing and the tensioner pulley too, then I am at a loss. Hopefully someone will have a clue and it doesn't turn out to be something expensive.

OP
OP
RusticSky

RusticSky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took a better video that you can hear the noise. Listen when I accelerate. It happens about 1000rpm. It will happen while in park also if I hit the accelerator to 1000rpm. I might just need to take it in to get looked at....

Last edited:

DStarr02

Reaction score
From what i could hear sounds like a heat shield on the exhaust is loose, they will rattle at a resonant frequency, hence the usually at around 1000 rpm. Have someone hit the throttle while you listen under the truck to see it you can figure out which one / where it is, i have seen people replace them, but you can get some plumbing fittings that screw down to hold it tight again for pennies on the dollar. Just use 2 or 3 front to back to hold the entire thing tight. flexible-couplings-series-300.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9