Grinding cracking pop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week our 07 Yukon Denali starting making a cracking pop and grinding noise out of the front passenger side wheel. Today the abs and traction lights came on. Sometimes it makes the noises and sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve pin pointed down to either the wheel hub or cv axle. Any tips on figuring out which is the problem?

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think if you turned the wheel to extreme right or left while accelerating and the sound goes away, it’s most likely a wheel/hub bearing. If the sound is still there it could most definitely be the CV axle joint. Is the boot torn around the suspect CV joint?

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think if you turned the wheel to extreme right or left while accelerating and the sound goes away, it’s most likely a wheel/hub bearing. If the sound is still there it could most definitely be the CV axle joint. Is the boot torn around the suspect CV joint?

No the boot is perfect. Nothing looks out of place at all. I got under and tried to jiggle the axle and it’s no loose or anything

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I’ll check that out tonight or tomorrow

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just backing up and turning the whee to the left and the grind was really really bad

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I was just backing up and turning the whee to the left and the grind was really really bad

Yeah, if it's the hub, they can get squirrely on you really fast. When you have it in the air to check it, spin it, and it may be really obvious if it's grinding that bad. Make sure your pads aren't dragging on the rotor, etc.

OP
OP
C

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if it's the hub, they can get squirrely on you really fast. When you have it in the air to check it, spin it, and it may be really obvious if it's grinding that bad. Make sure your pads aren't dragging on the rotor, etc.

I don’t think it’s the pads because I just replace them a few weeks ago and it’s not a constant grind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny