Grind/groan from drivers front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a groan from left front on left turns, slow speed like during parking. I'm going to pull the wheel off tomorrow and inspect steering/sus components. I did inject grease in the ports last tire rotation, didn't change anything.

Any thoughts on the noise, usually suspects? Bushings?

Thanks.

silverado3521

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
had this same thing just happen to me and my abs/stability lights came and and off and it was my front wheel bearing easy swap just expensive part

DSD40U

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same thing. loud grinding noise from drivers front left. slow speed and usually right after or during a turn or a bump. Also only seems to happen when its cold. i checked for wheel play thinking maybe it was a bearing but found nothing. maybe wheel HUB? front diff?

vocabsr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same thing. loud grinding noise from drivers front left. slow speed and usually right after or during a turn or a bump. Also only seems to happen when its cold. i checked for wheel play thinking maybe it was a bearing but found nothing. maybe wheel HUB? front diff?

Hello,

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever figure out what the noise was?

vocabsr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm getting a groan from left front on left turns, slow speed like during parking. I'm going to pull the wheel off tomorrow and inspect steering/sus components. I did inject grease in the ports last tire rotation, didn't change anything.

Any thoughts on the noise, usually suspects? Bushings?

Thanks.

Hello,

Did you ever figure out what the noise was?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Symptoms are consistent with a bad wheel hub/bearing assembly.

KO Phoenix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a new member with a critical issue on an 06 Tahoe (4x4) that apparently started sometime while I was deployed and my brother was driving the truck in my absence. Over the past week or so my truck has developed a very noticeable loud "grinding/rumble/whining" noise from what sounds like the left front, which I originally thought was a bad wheel bearing and hub assembly. I replaced the left front hub assembly, but the "grinding and rumbling" is still present and after doing some further research (to include asking my brother what all was going on with the truck in my absence), I’m now suspecting the CV axles and bearings were the original culprit all along. However, during my course of troubleshooting, I discovered that the 4wd selector (or some other to be identified component of the 4wd system) apparently failed at some point, because the truck appears to be stuck in “Auto 4wd”. It will shift into 4H and 4L without issue, but will not engage 2H and so my idiot brother had been driving the truck in “Auto 4wd” four out of the six months I was deployed?? While I have taken the time to watch several YouTube videos on how to replace the CV Axles and bearings, I am really concerned about the potential damage to the front differential with the truck being driven how it was. I'm a single military dad who tries to do as much of my own repairs as possible, but admit I might be out of my league with repairs involving the front differential, given its unchartered territory for me and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced either issues and could give me any sincere advice or recommendations. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt any damage can be attributed to driving in Auto 4wd mode alone.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a new member with a critical issue on an 06 Tahoe (4x4) that apparently started sometime while I was deployed and my brother was driving the truck in my absence. Over the past week or so my truck has developed a very noticeable loud "grinding/rumble/whining" noise from what sounds like the left front, which I originally thought was a bad wheel bearing and hub assembly. I replaced the left front hub assembly, but the "grinding and rumbling" is still present and after doing some further research (to include asking my brother what all was going on with the truck in my absence), I’m now suspecting the CV axles and bearings were the original culprit all along. However, during my course of troubleshooting, I discovered that the 4wd selector (or some other to be identified component of the 4wd system) apparently failed at some point, because the truck appears to be stuck in “Auto 4wd”. It will shift into 4H and 4L without issue, but will not engage 2H and so my idiot brother had been driving the truck in “Auto 4wd” four out of the six months I was deployed?? While I have taken the time to watch several YouTube videos on how to replace the CV Axles and bearings, I am really concerned about the potential damage to the front differential with the truck being driven how it was. I'm a single military dad who tries to do as much of my own repairs as possible, but admit I might be out of my league with repairs involving the front differential, given its unchartered territory for me and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced either issues and could give me any sincere advice or recommendations. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You're Hub assemby/Bearings are one and the same. You cant just replace any bearings on the front end. Its the entire hub assembly. Are your CV halfshaft boots torn? There are no "bearings" in the cv halfshaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore