Grading Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamoody

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon SLE with 6400 lb towing capacity and tow a 19' camper with GVWR 3626 lb using a weight distribution hitch with integral anti sway (Equal-i-zer). I'll be taking this combination across the country (and back) including through the Rockies from Yellowstone to Flagstaff to Santa Fe. The rig tows fine on the (reasonably) flat east coast I81/I84 corridors (I've towed this rig about 8K miles in this area) but I don't know how it will do on the regular 6%-7% grades (some reported as long as 10 miles) I'll encounter on I15/I78/US89. Anybody have any thoughts?

In addition to tow/haul mode and downshifting on decent is there any advantage/disadvantage to using 4WD vs 2WD? I figure to stay mostly on interstates (Ixx) and US highways (USxx) which are presumably built with trucks in mind. Any other advice?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to look at replacing your factory trans cooler. Think about a Tru-cool 40K.

OP
OP
J

jamoody

Reaction score
I called the dealer today and they too suggested adding an aftermarket transmission cooler for steep grade towing. However 40K GVW for the Tru-Cool 40K seems a bit excessive given the combined GVWR of SUV and trailer is 13K.

Anybody have any additional transmission cooler recommendations for 2017 Yukon towing max 6K lbs trailer through the Rockies?

OP
OP
J

jamoody

Reaction score
Also, do I need a transmission cooler with thermal bypass? I live in mid-NY where we regularly get to 20F in the winter and 2-3 days a year to 0F, but very rarely (like every 5 years) have a night below that.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your trans already has a built-in thermal bypass.

Trust me on the 40K.

I would put it IN PLACE OF instead of IN ADDITION TO your trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt