got rear doors to open from inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Sport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got to tinkering today and checked on what was needed to get rear doors to open from inside.
Simple Simple , no parts needed. I had read somewhere that a rod was omitted. Not!
Took the door panel off and connected the cable to the handle.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pedro, are you CERTAIN the cables are missing? I know they leave them disconnected from the factory. I guess certain upfitter door panels may require some parts removal, but they'll also not take time removing stuff they don't have to.

Perro

Reaction score
Pedro, are you CERTAIN the cables are missing? I know they leave them disconnected from the factory. I guess certain upfitter door panels may require some parts removal, but they'll also not take time removing stuff they don't have to.

I bought my tahoe from an auction and had a few items missing (rear heater core, rear tailgate hinge missing and didn't open, all rims different) checked the rear doors and removed panels had both cables missing, hopefully I ordered the correct ones, thanks Gene.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! As I said, ours were just disconnected and behind the door panels. Oddly, the door lock knobs (the ones at the top of the door panel) were missing. Well, not oddly, but the oddly part is we later picked up a '12 9C1 Caprice, from the same dealership, a year and a half later. When I was looking it over to see how things were on it, I discovered two Tahoe door lock knobs laying in the spare tire well!!

Still haven't installed them, as the metal rod required the door panels to come off again. But I DO have them!!

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need following parts to get the rear door opening job done:

Passenger side rear side door lock rod:
15175417 QTY: 1

Driver side rear side door lock rod:
15175416 QTY: 1

Rear side door lock rod knob, Ebony color:
15844616 QTY: 2

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I had to order the connector rods when I did mine. The cables were already there.
I also had dummy window switches. I got used ones off ebay fairly cheap, the harness was already there.
Also, the rear seat belts on mine were tucked away behind the rear pillar covers. They were untouched and left that way from the factory. I did have to order the anchor bolts for them and they were good to go. Do not use bolts from a hardware store, do it right. The anchor bolts are oddly shaped for a reason.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, this forum keeps me checking things, so I checked the rear doors, driver side rear door opens from the inside, passenger side rear door doesn't (but I can hear a cable move around).

Ron

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, this forum keeps me checking things, so I checked the rear doors, driver side rear door opens from the inside, passenger side rear door doesn't (but I can hear a cable move around).

Ron

problem solved, there is a "child lock" in the door.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
problem solved, there is a "child lock" in the door.

That got me too.
I did all the reading here before buying my SSV. Ordered the window switches, simple. Lock knobs and rod, easy.

Then tried to look for the cable. Had the thing apart for half a day. Checking part numbers, diagrams, every youtube video of how the doors come apart, how to replace parts, etc.

Used a mirror to try to look around, stuck a camera in my door to watch the mechanism...

Then saw the stupid child lock switch in the wrong position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout