Goodbye Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperKal

Reaction score
So I finally gave in and traded in my 2008 Yukon Hybrid for a brand new 2016 Suburban LTZ. Given the age and mileage, it made no sense to keep running it. Having the hybrid has been an overall amazing experience and I really wish they still made them. I would easily have bought another hybrid.

I thought I would post a final hybrid fact sheet for mine.

Positives:

1. Still running at 245,000 km
2. Super smooth to drive
3. Amazing low gas consumption (approx $3000 a year savings)
4. Wow factor

Negatives:

1. Hybrid battery finally finished
2. Tranny having difficulty, especially in reverse (possible rebuild required)
3. Engine burning lots of oil (apparently this is normal)
4. Both rear door lock actuators not working

This has been the best Yukon I have ever owned. Having covered many trouble free km, I realize that all good things come to an end. Hopefully GM will eventually come up with another one.

Bye Yukon Hybrid.....sob sob

RebelBelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to see you have to let it go. Mine is a 2010 Hy-Hoe 4x4 with about 178,000 miles and still running very strong. Battery pack still keeps truck in Stealth mode up to almost 30mph when traffic allows and engines burns almost no oil between 7-10,000 mile full synthetic oil changes.
Main issues as of now are one of the sunroof arms broke and I haven't found a replacement yet without changing the whole assembly and the dash is cracked from the sun. Didn't use a shade screen early enough in the truck's life. Driver's side lumbar knob just spins: need to remove seat and probably just replace an Allen screw. Have had to replace one of the rear seat headsets due to using cheap batteries (corrosion) but other than that no real maintenance issues. Still on original brakes and shocks. Lots of hwy mileage early in it's life but past 2 years 50/50 hwy and city. I too really hate that GM discontinued the Hybrid and would gladly drive these the rest of my life.

My last Tahoe (1997 4x4) had 277,000 miles on it's original engine and was still running strong when I sold it. Actually it's still running now according to the new owner. He had a rebuilt engine for it and still hasn't replaced the original.

I agree with your pros:
Overall package is great with very few compromises
Mileage, both city and highway is stunning for an 8 Pax vehicle that's also 4 wheel drive,
looks: very clean without a roof rack and with running boards
Comfortable seats on 800 mile trips
Quiet! The Hy-Hoe has truly spoiled us. Rented a little Jeep Patriot recently and was shocked at how much road noise even on a smooth hwy. Same with a buddies Kia SUV, lots of road noise.

My Cons:
Oil pressure gauge filter is a nightmare to get to!

The seats in the "WayBack" as the kids have named it, are hard to remove and replace when carrying more luggage or cargo. I would really like the extra room of a Suburban ( if there was a Hy-Suburban) sometimes but the hitch mount cargo carrier usually suffices. I envy those SUVs and trucks with fold flat seating but realize with battery pack storage and comfortable back seats one must compromise.

Lack of a spare ( been lucky so far that I carry a plug kit and Leatherman and know how to use!)

Lack of memory in the Navigation system/ radio/DVD Make a couple of changes in the GPS while playing a movie in back for the kids and the Nav system will lock up and of course the truck has to be pulled off the highway, shut down and allow the system to reboot. Definitely a PITA and wish there was an aftermarket upgrade that wasn't $1,000 or more. I know, just use the phone for NAV; but shouldn't have to...

Wish that the 2010 had memory settings on the mirrors and seat positions for driver one and two along with the automatic tilt-down of side mirrors when put in reverse: would have just been an easy software addition for a decent programmer. Wish that I could have that as an add-on.Wish that I knew if it's possible to upgrade to a newer year software program without screwing up all the other factors.

Overall, just a great ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep