Good timing on New Tire Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at 31K miles...the Continental OEM tires on our 2016 Yukon were down to 4/32 all the around. We have a bunch of driving coming up over the Holidays so this past Friday I started tire shopping. I favor Michelines but they weren't in my budget with building a new home and moving going on. I made the decision to go with Goodyear Eagle S2's ...275/55 x 20. Got them mounted and balanced along with a front end alignment and was on my way.

I had taken my wife to work Friday in the Yukon (her daily driver) so I had to go pick her up. As I was headed to get her a woman in a Hyundai 4 door pulled out of a side street immediately in front of me. I was cruising at the speed limit, 45 MPH and hit the brakes HARD !! All 4 of the new Goodyears locked up and I was able to stop 2 feet from her driver's side door !! She had the look of horror on her face as she saw almost 3 tons of GMC iron about to apply Newton's 1st and 3rd laws of motion to her and her little Hyundai Sonata...T-Bone!!

I think my presence of mind to buy a new set of tires that day may have saved her life. I don't the Continentals would have stopped in time and I would have blasted right thru that little car.

Keep an eye on the condition of your tires and brakes. Someone's life may depend on it.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was even lower on tread on my Michelin LTXs on my 20s. I scored an almost new set of nitto dura grapplers in a 275/60 and I had them mounted down in LA where I bought them. A few days ago I had the exact same scenario play out in big Bear, only it was a ford excursion pulling out in front of me, good brakes and new tires did the job and stopped me a few feet short of the excursion.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So at 31K miles...the Continental OEM tires on our 2016 Yukon were down to 4/32 all the around. We have a bunch of driving coming up over the Holidays so this past Friday I started tire shopping. I favor Michelines but they weren't in my budget with building a new home and moving going on. I made the decision to go with Goodyear Eagle S2's ...275/55 x 20. Got them mounted and balanced along with a front end alignment and was on my way.

I had taken my wife to work Friday in the Yukon (her daily driver) so I had to go pick her up. As I was headed to get her a woman in a Hyundai 4 door pulled out of a side street immediately in front of me. I was cruising at the speed limit, 45 MPH and hit the brakes HARD !! All 4 of the new Goodyears locked up and I was able to stop 2 feet from her driver's side door !! She had the look of horror on her face as she saw almost 3 tons of GMC iron about to apply Newton's 1st and 3rd laws of motion to her and her little Hyundai Sonata...T-Bone!!

I think my presence of mind to buy a new set of tires that day may have saved her life. I don't the Continentals would have stopped in time and I would have blasted right thru that little car.

Keep an eye on the condition of your tires and brakes. Someone's life may depend on it.
those are great tires!, I like those and the eagle sport, I cant say enough good things about them, I'll probably never buy a different model tire unless they stop making them. I'm sure you will still be pleased with them far down the road

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are great tires!, I like those and the eagle sport, I cant say enough good things about them, I'll probably never buy a different model tire unless they stop making them. I'm sure you will still be pleased with them far down the road

The first thing I noticed when the Tire Store Tech brought them out of storage was how much more tread footprint the Eagles have...especially considering that they are the same size and aspect ratio as the Continentals. They look great on the truck. The quick take away driving around on them is how much more responsive the steering is and how smoothly they ride.

We are driving the Yukon from Ft. Lauderdale to Ocala, Fl in two weeks and then out to Dallas. I will really get a good comparison then...I am actually looking forward to the drive !!

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was even lower on tread on my Michelin LTXs on my 20s. I scored an almost new set of nitto dura grapplers in a 275/60 and I had them mounted down in LA where I bought them. A few days ago I had the exact same scenario play out in big Bear, only it was a ford excursion pulling out in front of me, good brakes and new tires did the job and stopped me a few feet short of the excursion.

I don't get it with some people...they look at you coming down the road towards them...yet they still pull right out in front of you like it's all a video game!! Seat belts and Airbags considered... a 3 ton brick hitting you at just about any speed will be bad !!!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it with some people...they look at you coming down the road towards them...yet they still pull right out in front of you like it's all a video game!! Seat belts and Airbags considered... a 3 ton brick hitting you at just about any speed will be bad !!!
It’s even worse here in California!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonMSavannah