GMC Customer Service Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for advice to help resolve a customer service issue I am having with GMC. Specifically I am looking to learn if there is an appeal point of contact that I could speak with over a current issue I am having.

I have a 2013 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid (less than 3 years old, but currently at 75,000 miles so it is out of the standard warranty).

On one of my many 1,200 mile trips down I-5 from Washington to southern California, as I was passing through Roseburg, OR my factory transmission cooler line failed from a manufacturing defect, and I lost all my transmission fluid. The good news was that I noticed the problem before losing all the fluid (by the smoke in my rear view mirror as the fluid hit the exhaust system) and was able to get to the shoulder and eventually towed to the GMC dealer. The bad news is that I was stranded with the family and dog, and had to make alternate arrangements to continue my trip without my Yukon (which is in Oregon at the dealer waiting for my return).

Apparently this is not covered by the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, even though you have no powertrain without a working transmission cooler line.

I understand I am out of warranty, but the part failed for reasons other than fair wear and tear. It failed from a defect through no fault of mine.

I talked with the dealer, and I understand their hands are tied, so I called GMC Customer Service and spoke with April. Today she indicated there is no recourse or possibility for any good will consideration since I was out of warranty. Of course this didn't make good business sense to me as a long time loyal GMC customer (this is my 6th new GMC in a row) who spent $65,000 on a car that has parts failing in less than 3 years from manufacturing defects, and GMC doesn't stand behind the vehicle.

I asked April if there was someone else up the chain of command I could discuss this with, and she said she did all she can and there is nothing else that can be done; but I should be pleased to know that the workmanship on my part replacement comes with a 12 month warranty so if it fails again in 12 months I am covered.

I have to say the conversation left me perplexed and without any sense of remaining a loyal GMC customer. I just have to believe this is the dead end I am told it is.

So, any advice from the group and more importantly, is there someone else that can review this decision? I am not looking for recovering my expenses (this was a very expensive failure far beyond the cost to repair the vehicle); I am looking for some relief on the repair costs since this is a manufacturing defect that should not have occurred in less than 3 years. My car is extremely well maintained and looks and drives like new because I take care of my vehicles; I do not abuse them or expose them to conditions that lead to failures.

Thank you.

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my factory transmission cooler line failed from a manufacturing defect, and I lost all my transmission fluid. The good news was that I noticed the problem before losing all the fluid (by the smoke in my rear view mirror as the fluid hit the exhaust system) and was able to get to the shoulder and eventually towed to the GMC dealer.
I am not looking for recovering my expenses (this was a very expensive failure far beyond the cost to repair the vehicle); I am looking for some relief on the repair costs

I am confused.

You blew a transmission cooler line, got to the shoulder before losing all your fluid (which should've prevented catastrophic transmission failure), but it cost more than your vehicle is worth to repair? You paid $30,000+ for repairs? Or are you saying that you paid more to continue on your trip to California than you did to repair the vehicle?

I understand I am out of warranty, but the part failed for reasons other than fair wear and tear. It failed from a defect through no fault of mine.

What proof do you have this was a manufacturing defect? Is that what the dealership who repaired it told you?

Either way, as mentioned above, it's going to be a matter of speaking to the right person (usually a manager) or making enough of a fuss that management takes notice and wants to make you happy, so that you'll leave them alone.

The dealership in Roseburg that fixed it has very little incentive to be extra helpful. They know that you need to get the vehicle fixed and most likely won't pay to have it towed somewhere else. They also know that you will likely never be back to see them again, which makes them no money.

If you've bought a few (or all) of your last 6 new GMCs from the same dealership and you have a salesperson/service writer/manager that you have a somewhat personal relationship with, I would call them. Politely explain the situation to them and see if they have any suggestions or contacts. That person will be inclined to go above and beyond for you, because they know if they take care of you, you'll be back to buy another new GMC and have it serviced through them.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
This post makes me want to inspect my trans cooler lines right away. Is it 2 lines from the transmission to the radiator or is there more to it? What are some signs of wear?

Madness3120

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeap just had my 2 oil cooler lines replaced on my 08 Denali at the Stealership

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer wants $725 to replace my lines!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Sorry for not responding back sooner; didn't realize these responses had occurred.

My statement about the repair cost was not related to any remedy I was expecting or deserving, and in hindsight was immaterial to the issue. I was frustrated because of the inconvenience and cost of leaving my car in Roseburg over a blown transmission cooler line (which was metal, not rubber, by the way). First I had to rent a truck to go back to my home in Washington, transfer all my considerable gear into my wife's Volvo, then resume the trip back down to California. I had to leave my car at the dealer in Roseburg for a month before I had an opportunity to drive with my wife back up to Roseburg and retrieve my car. In the meantime I had to rent a car for a month. All because of a blown transmission cooler line and a demanding work schedule.

I inquired from the dealer what the cause of the failure was, and their response was "it just gave out". No damage from a road hazard, or any rubbing or other tell-tale indication. This just added to my frustration since the car at that time was less than 3 years old and treated well.

I did run this all the way up the flagpole, and to corporate, with no relief.

I routinely check many items before my frequent long road trips, and transmission cooler lines are now added to my list. Lesson learned.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you truly believe it's a "manufacturing defect" and it creates an unsafe condition (I'm sure it does), report the failure to the NTSB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie