GM is buying back my Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigboychi

Reaction score
I guess we have been lucky. We have had two bad vehicles from GM in our 47 years of marriage. The first was a 1974 Grand Prix that we put 6 alternators in. We paid for only one alternator, the last one, over three 48 months. The second was a 1978 Monte Carlo that died all the time. We traded it back to the dealer after six months. All the rest have been really great vehicles, mostly trucks, suburbans and Tahoes. We now have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid and a 2015 Silverado Double Cab 4X4. Both have been great vehicles although we have spent a little more in repairs on the Tahoe than I think I should. That was because we followed the recommended oil change schedule instead of my usual 3,000 mile oil change interval. I will be 70 in August so the truck may be my last vehicle to buy. We may buy the wife a new or low mileage unit in a couple of years, though. BTW, I got a little over $13,000 off sticker on the Silverado in July. It was a left over two model year (almost) unit so I got a really good deal and got the 100,000 mile warranty that the 2015s had. I was/am happy. Bought it in OKC.
How much extra was 100,000 mile warranty??

Bigboychi

Reaction score
Have to admit this is some discouraging things to read about these new models. I've had many new & used GM cars & trucks through the years & been pretty pleased with all of them - even the used ones. We've had 96, 99, 05 & 08 Tahoes, 87, 89, 90 454SS, 01 EC, 07 CC Silverados, 95 & 96 Impala SS and liked them all. 99 would not start on my wife every half year or so & I discovered the battery bolt kept coming loose - put an 8mm wrench in the glovebox & showed her how to fix it herself. The 05 PPV Tahoe has been the highest mileage & had some PITA repairs but nothing extremely expensive just labor intensive (wheel bearings, fuel pump, hvac diverters). I must say that I take over repairs once they're out of warranty to keep costs down. Had an 06 Charger that got sold the second time it died for no reason "while driving" but restarted - I expected an eventual wiring nightmare coming.

We just ordered/purchased this 2017 Tahoe LT 2WD & love it - hope it holds up much better than some on here. I will admit this is the first time I've ever purchased an extended warranty just because of the electronics in this monster.

Good luck to you all.
How much was extended warranty

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Reaction score
How much was extended warranty
I paid $1700 for my platinum 7 year/100,000 mile warranty. They started it around $2,700 and my husband talked them down to $1700 if he bought the oil change/tire rotation plan for $250 for 4 years/48,000 miles

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ashley, I am a retired electrician with extensive experience in control systems and industrial installations. I have come to the conclusion that the more complicated a system is, the more difficult it is to produce a quality product. There are many folks who lease vehicles so that about the end of the warranty period they turn them in for a new vehicle. I drive a 2005 Tahoe to avoid the cylinder shutdown system that plagues so many owners of newer vehicles.

I believe most manufacturers (this also surely applies to appliances) that are in the auto industry are not at all interested in producing a quality product. Mary Barra did not tell congress the real truth about the GM ignition switch that killed real people. It was not a rogue engineer or two! It is a company culture. Quality nowadays is more good luck than companies working hard to put out quality. The buffeting problem is just one example that proves my point. It really isn't that hard to prevent the vibration, spend money to redesign!

Instead they would rather use reverse auctions to force parts suppliers to lower their prices. This practice cannot possibly motivate vendors to improve the quality of the thousands of parts in your next vehicle. Have you followed the Takata airbag craziness? This is another result of driving down parts prices--fewer vendors willing to sell below cost, so only a few vendors building a huge amount of inferior parts (100+million air bag inflators that can be potential bombs). Boeing chose to outsource much of the design of the 787 with similar problems, schedule delays, etc.

Drive your test vehicle across a bumpy road or railroad tracks at speed. Be wary of vehicles that are connected to the internet-this is another way for problems to be introduced into complicated control systems. I do suggest a small purchase before you buy--Consumer Union's car buying guide. If you haven't read this, the information may shock you. Good luck!
Larry

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While understanding your hesitation to buy another GM try not to throw out the baby with the bath water. Given your needs with a tall husband and children you may not find a more suitable option other than a mini van. Lots of us here have the same vehicle without issues. One thing you might consider is a dealer demo. They have low miles so any issues are already done and they're still considered new with full factory warranty, rebates, and anything else a new one is entitled to.

BobDobalina

Reaction score
Buy an SLE Yukon and spend $1500 on Katzkin leather (better than Denali leather). Enjoy the 20K you saved and avoid extra complicated options.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy an SLE Yukon and spend $1500 on Katzkin leather (better than Denali leather). Enjoy the 20K you saved and avoid extra complicated options.
That's good advice actually, I've done that with prior pickups where I could not locate the color with options I wanted. Katzkin leather is better quality and more durable than Chevrolet and Ram leather, no experience with GMC.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Like an 8 speed transmission and a 420hp engine?

The issues people are having with these trucks, at this point, aren't generally transmission or engine related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree with the idea, and outside of the 8spd and larger engine, there are a lot of convenience things that would be missing, IMO for a 2016/17. Keyless entry would be the biggest for me after having it for the past 5yrs. heated seats (I know wthis can be added as well).

PitBullFan01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently own a 2015 Yukon Denali XL which is loaded with a whole bunch of options. I bought it CPO with about 9000 miles on it. I purchased it from NC and went there to pick it up and drove it home to NYC from the dealer. I've had it about a year and so far put about 9000 miles on it. Last year the Wife to be and I took several trips with our new truck; 1st trip was from NYC to Canton, Ohio (Football HOF), then to Eerie, PA, then to Niagara Falls, NY and then back to NYC. That trip was a week long and I did all the driving. My Wife does not drive. Lol. 2nd trip was NYC to NC. Third trip was NYC to Orlando FL, then to North Charleston SC, then back to NYC. So far, I had had 0 issues with steering or buffering on any of the other issues mentioned. I did have an issue with the trim coming lose on the doors though. The Dealer ordered brand new trim for all doors and replaced it FOC and I've had no problems with it since. So, I have about 17000 miles on my truck and no major issues. Is it too early for those buffering or steering issues to surface? Should I be concerned? I'm really getting nervous reading some of your posts. I'm hoping to hold onto this truck at least 2 maybe 3 years before trade. Should I be concerned with these steering and buffering issues "popping" up???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14