GM Bulletin on aftermarket air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My service manager said his team would not care and cause issues about CAI since gm sells them. He likes my Volant too.
Wish mine didn't care. They did say I could put in an aftermarket air filter as long as I left the original housing and tube.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service manager also said not to worry about my AFE intake. He said it won't void the warranty. So mix messages out there. Recently 2 valves and 2 push rods were bent. But before I towed it in -- I put the stock intake back on because I didn't want any issues even though the SM said no issues installing an aftermarket intake.

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My service manager also said not to worry about my AFE intake. He said it won't void the warranty. So mix messages out there. Recently 2 valves and 2 push rods were bent. But before I towed it in -- I put the stock intake back on because I didn't want any issues even though the SM said no issues installing an aftermarket intake.
I don't blame you. The issues are not as bad, but I can sure feel the difference in the throttle. I called Chevy customer service and asked about the warranty. Like I mentioned it will be void if it's on. So glad you put it back to stock

Ken G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my '16 Silverado. I put on the K&N kit the day I brought the truck home with 186 miles on it and hated the way it has shifted since day 1. Bought my wifes new Tahoe a few months back and have been comparing the 2 two and hers is the same 5.3L, 6L90E, 3.42 Ratio set up and shifts/feels/powers completely different 100% stock. Put my stock air box on and off twice now and it's a noticeable difference when the stock is reinstalled and the shift issues go away.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my '16 Silverado. I put on the K&N kit the day I brought the truck home with 186 miles on it and hated the way it has shifted since day 1. Bought my wifes new Tahoe a few months back and have been comparing the 2 two and hers is the same 5.3L, 6L90E, 3.42 Ratio set up and shifts/feels/powers completely different 100% stock. Put my stock air box on and off twice now and it's a noticeable difference when the stock is reinstalled and the shift issues go away.

It's because the newer style gm computers use multiple torque based algorithms to control tranny shifting and feel. Some intakes on some vehicles really show the affects bad when the actual air flow vs calibrated air flow vs frequency of th mass air calibration is off.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today's cars are so finicky, that any time you change the smallest of things, it seems to throw the computer into a tizzy. I think in part, the reason why the Warranty would be voided is in order to get the CAI to actually work correctly, without the issues, the PCM would require a re-flash in order to take advantage of the new part. I know this is also the same issue with Ford and their mustang, I can't just change the CAI and expect it to work or run properly. I have a friend who had a 2016 Mustang 5.0, and it had an aftermarket CAI, and when he put the Stock unit on, the car ran like garbage, installed the aftermarket CAI and it ran like a champ. It turned out that the previous owner did a tune with the intake...

Things are not as simple as they were 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. Heck I remember someone telling me that a LS1 4th gen Firebird or Camaro when he put a K&N air filter the car would actually slow down, so this is not anything new...

tdriver113

Reaction score
I found multiple online accounts of CAI causing problems and no real gains without doing some sort of tune on newer vehicles.

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found multiple online accounts of CAI causing problems and no real gains without doing some sort of tune on newer vehicles.
Ya . It' going back to the shop. The shifts and power surges didn't stop. It' all back to stock and after a week still happening.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission began shifting softer after the Y-pipe and cats were replaced. Gas mileage has improved but shifting still soft several months later. Been too wet to datalog for a BlackBear update to the tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts