Gibson 5601 Cat-Back Exhaust Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was researching new exhausts for my 2004 Yukon 5.3L I couldn't find very many detailed exhaust reviews for this generation of trucks. I decided to make a comparison video between stock and aftermarket exhausts to help anyone out who was in the same boat as I was.

Now for the review:
I have used it for over 2 weeks now and am very pleased with it so far. I have noticed better performance and throttle response and as a result about .5 MPG better than before (I monitor my MPG very closely and consistently). I was looking for an exhaust that sounded MEAN when you wanted it to but was quiet enough to have a conversation in the cab and that is EXACTLY what I got. You can hear it while driving at low speeds but any exhaust noise above 25-30 MPH goes away. My truck doesn't have any Dynamat or other sound deadening but I am planning on adding it in the future. It is much louder at idle and startup than the stock one was as you can see in the video. It doesn't bother me and I actually prefer it even when people are around like in a parking lot. I don't feel like it is too loud and obnoxious for other people around.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer!

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good where you get the kit from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. Like a real truck.
If no drone in the cabin, then it's a winner.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. Like a real truck.
If no drone in the cabin, then it's a winner.

Thank you. There is drone in the cab but I believe 98% of it is from the cold air intake. I've had that for years and am very familiar with the sound.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAI = drone? :think:

Yes, the stock intake had 2 big sound chambers to prevent droning. I never even heard it make a droning sound with the stock intake. When I replaced it with a solid tube cold air intake I was surprised by how much those 2 chambers actually made a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st