Getting ready to get a tune.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
Are you guys loading 87-89 oct? I have not loaded my 91 oct yet! What kind of difference between the tones have you noticed? I would load my 91 but adapts are just now sorted and don’t feel like feeling my transmission slide bump again.

TheJeef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just orded the AutoCal today for my 2010 Tahoe 5.3L. They alreay put it in the mail (which was amazingly fast). Tuning is something new to me. My Tahoe is a daily driver and one that I use to pull our boat on weekends. Everything is stock. How should I go about tuning the first go round? I initially only wanted to disable AFM because of the horror stories that I have read about. Now Im thinking I want to make it more responsive. Thoughts?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Are you guys loading 87-89 oct? I have not loaded my 91 oct yet! What kind of difference between the tones have you noticed? I would load my 91 but adapts are just now sorted and don’t feel like feeling my transmission slide bump again.
I can’t run anything besides my 93 tune for obvious reasons. But before I had a supercharger, my 93 tune felt it would pull harder and more responsive.

I just orded the AutoCal today for my 2010 Tahoe 5.3L. They alreay put it in the mail (which was amazingly fast). Tuning is something new to me. My Tahoe is a daily driver and one that I use to pull our boat on weekends. Everything is stock. How should I go about tuning the first go round? I initially only wanted to disable AFM because of the horror stories that I have read about. Now Im thinking I want to make it more responsive. Thoughts?
If you’re going to just disable the AFM you could get a Range programmer. It just plugs into the DLC of your truck. As long as it’s plugged in, AFM stays disabled and reenables after it’s removed. If you’re going to get atune, there’s no reason to have your truck tuned to be more responsive and peppier than stock. It’s literally like driving a whole different truck.

TheJeef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't mind breathing new life into this truck if thats truly what the outcome of the AutoCal tune would be.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The primary reason for my tune was to disable AFM. I was completely happy with the way my truck drove before the tune. I had the good fortune of meeting Justin in person and having him tune my truck while we drove around. I stressed that any tweaks he made to be kept mild. He adjusted this and that and then we parted ways. Immediately noticeable was the improved shifting of the transmission and it would now go down to 1st gear if in 2nd or 3rd from a slow roll if you had to get on the throttle. The whole front end lifts up as the motor heads for 6,000 rpms! In a short while the truck drove very different and for the better, the motor was awakened from its slumbering factory tune. It definitely unleashed some pent up horsepower. The truck made 302 rear wheel horsepower through the traps at the drag strip with a bad catalytic converter in December. It's factory rating was 310 horsepower at the flywheel.

Your mileage is not likely to suffer from a tune that disables AFM. Most folks report improved mileage. It's the best bang for your buck.

TheJeef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there already a preset tune with these changes that I can obtain or do I have to datalog my driving habits and then email the data to Black Bear? What you have described sounds just like what I would be interested in.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there already a preset tune with these changes that I can obtain or do I have to datalog my driving habits and then email the data to Black Bear? What you have described sounds just like what I would be interested in.

He's going to need a datalog. First, this uncovers any problems that should be addressed before tuning, it shows the current state of the drivetrain and finally, your driving habits. The transmission and transfer case for example adjust themselves for optimum performance as they age. He needs to see those numbers and work with them.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your purchase. The AutoCal will come with a packing slip notifying you how to access our online instructions. We can disable the AFM within the tune for you, and help improve throttle response, shift patterns, along with HP and TQ gains.
The AutoCal will not come loaded with any tunes. Once you do your 20-30 minute datalog, download your stock tune files, and email them to us, we will build your custom files, and email them back to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy