Getting message?:"Tighten Gas Cap" or are you Unable to fill your tank? ! Look here !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having the same problem, I have to hold the lever to fill my tank or it wont fill up at all.

Looks like its time to order some parts and do it this week.

marc mathis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this issue for a little while and I decided to consolidate all the info into 1 Post and a picture of what you need to replace it. If you have any questions just ask in this thread:

What you need:
AC DELCO 214-2149 [CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE]
-Brand new AC DELCO component with correct connector
-Replaces dealer part numbers: 25932571, 214-2149
-Picture:
UW23w.jpg

Quick synopsis:

-It started off as 'Tighten Gas Cap" on the DIC, As the solenoid valve was stuck open and would vent the tank so the computer thought the gas cap was loose. I got the solenoid unstuck but later it failed in the close position and would not vent when filling the tank. I too tried everything including turning the nozzle completely upside down but the nozzle would just click off. The day after I replaced it I was able to fill the tank as fast as the pump would go and the engine light went out a day or so later, Have not had the problem ever since.

****UPDATE****
-Problem seems to be solved, I replaced the evap solenoid the day before yesterday and now I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go. It only cost me $28, The engine light has not shut off yet but that should resolve itself in a few days after I drive it around a bit.

-It connects to the charcoal canister under the rear by the gas tank, A lot of people refer to it as the evap valve or solenoid.
-You have to crawl under but its just above and infront of the rear axel.
-A screw driver to pry up on the tab in the middle of the bracket and the same with tabs on the hose to release it. Then slide the new part back in the bracket and bend the tab back to hold it and make the connections.
-About 15 minutes of your time and no gas leaking, Also easier to get to if you drop the spare tire.

Hope this helps everyone!

**********New updated part info*************
GM understands that this is an issue and this part has been updated with a new one that has hoses and moves the filter, but the new part costs $250-300 and is harder to install, and if you get this part it will last another 4-6 years (Which is when I don't plan on having same Tahoe)
:Handshake:
-Anthony
I replaced this part on my 2005 tahoe still getting tighten gas cap and having problems filling any suggestions

VICDBOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on my 2015 burb with 10k miles in it. I had the same issue on my 07 and after replacing the purge valve under the intake and the canister along with the hoses it solved the issue. Gonna have to take in. I'm sure the dealer will just replace the gas cap. Gonna see if I can convince them to replace the canister too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wash

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this issue for a little while and I decided to consolidate all the info into 1 Post and a picture of what you need to replace it. If you have any questions just ask in this thread:

What you need:
AC DELCO 214-2149 [CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE]
-Brand new AC DELCO component with correct connector
-Replaces dealer part numbers: 25932571, 214-2149
-Picture:
UW23w.jpg

Quick synopsis:

-It started off as 'Tighten Gas Cap" on the DIC, As the solenoid valve was stuck open and would vent the tank so the computer thought the gas cap was loose. I got the solenoid unstuck but later it failed in the close position and would not vent when filling the tank. I too tried everything including turning the nozzle completely upside down but the nozzle would just click off. The day after I replaced it I was able to fill the tank as fast as the pump would go and the engine light went out a day or so later, Have not had the problem ever since.

****UPDATE****
-Problem seems to be solved, I replaced the evap solenoid the day before yesterday and now I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go. It only cost me $28, The engine light has not shut off yet but that should resolve itself in a few days after I drive it around a bit.

-It connects to the charcoal canister under the rear by the gas tank, A lot of people refer to it as the evap valve or solenoid.
-You have to crawl under but its just above and infront of the rear axel.
-A screw driver to pry up on the tab in the middle of the bracket and the same with tabs on the hose to release it. Then slide the new part back in the bracket and bend the tab back to hold it and make the connections.
-About 15 minutes of your time and no gas leaking, Also easier to get to if you drop the spare tire.

Hope this helps everyone!

**********New updated part info*************
GM understands that this is an issue and this part has been updated with a new one that has hoses and moves the filter, but the new part costs $250-300 and is harder to install, and if you get this part it will last another 4-6 years (Which is when I don't plan on having same Tahoe)
:Handshake:
-Anthony

Man, you probably just save me from getting rid of my '06 Yukon Denali. I've probably had this problem since 2010. seem to be something that would be very expensive to repair. So as long as my truck would fill up no matter how long it took I just went with it. I live in a cold weather State, so it really sucks in the winter. Question is, Anthony, you referred to this part as the CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE.... someone else referred to it as the EVAP SOLENOID. when speaking with the dealer which one should I refer to??

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you probably just save me from getting rid of my '06 Yukon Denali. I've probably had this problem since 2010. seem to be something that would be very expensive to repair. So as long as my truck would fill up no matter how long it took I just went with it. I live in a cold weather State, so it really sucks in the winter. Question is, Anthony, you referred to this part as the CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE.... someone else referred to it as the EVAP SOLENOID. when speaking with the dealer which one should I refer to??

ACDelco 214-2149 Professional Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid

VICDBOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, finally took it in and
cf223c0065e1679ed6786b78b00ce7fe.jpg

VICDBOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No more issues with filling up either