Getting message?:"Tighten Gas Cap" or are you Unable to fill your tank? ! Look here !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabotage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this issue for a little while and I decided to consolidate all the info into 1 Post and a picture of what you need to replace it. If you have any questions just ask in this thread:

What you need:
AC DELCO 214-2149 [CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE]
-Brand new AC DELCO component with correct connector
-Replaces dealer part numbers: 25932571, 214-2149
-Picture:
UW23w.jpg

Quick synopsis:

-It started off as 'Tighten Gas Cap" on the DIC, As the solenoid valve was stuck open and would vent the tank so the computer thought the gas cap was loose. I got the solenoid unstuck but later it failed in the close position and would not vent when filling the tank. I too tried everything including turning the nozzle completely upside down but the nozzle would just click off. The day after I replaced it I was able to fill the tank as fast as the pump would go and the engine light went out a day or so later, Have not had the problem ever since.

****UPDATE****
-Problem seems to be solved, I replaced the evap solenoid the day before yesterday and now I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go. It only cost me $28, The engine light has not shut off yet but that should resolve itself in a few days after I drive it around a bit.

-It connects to the charcoal canister under the rear by the gas tank, A lot of people refer to it as the evap valve or solenoid.
-You have to crawl under but its just above and infront of the rear axel.
-A screw driver to pry up on the tab in the middle of the bracket and the same with tabs on the hose to release it. Then slide the new part back in the bracket and bend the tab back to hold it and make the connections.
-About 15 minutes of your time and no gas leaking, Also easier to get to if you drop the spare tire.

Hope this helps everyone!

**********New updated part info*************
GM understands that this is an issue and this part has been updated with a new one that has hoses and moves the filter, but the new part costs $250-300 and is harder to install, and if you get this part it will last another 4-6 years (Which is when I don't plan on having same Tahoe)
:Handshake:
-Anthony

I just have to say Thank you!
I was able to go into the auto parts store and give them the AC Delco part number and walk out with the part. I got home and jacked the truck up and swapped the part out in roughly 10 minutes. I even filled up at full speed without it clicking off, which was a relief. I am still waiting for the light to turn off but it should be off shortly I hope.
Your write up saved me a lot of time and frustration. So thank you again! You rock!

CM Burns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced the solenoid, and the Gas cap, so the engine light is off, but once every couple days I am still getting the tighten fuel cap warning pop up

Timpala

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this issue for a little while and I decided to consolidate all the info into 1 Post and a picture of what you need to replace it. If you have any questions just ask in this thread:

What you need:
AC DELCO 214-2149 [CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE]
-Brand new AC DELCO component with correct connector
-Replaces dealer part numbers: 25932571, 214-2149
-Picture:
UW23w.jpg

Quick synopsis:

-It started off as 'Tighten Gas Cap" on the DIC, As the solenoid valve was stuck open and would vent the tank so the computer thought the gas cap was loose. I got the solenoid unstuck but later it failed in the close position and would not vent when filling the tank. I too tried everything including turning the nozzle completely upside down but the nozzle would just click off. The day after I replaced it I was able to fill the tank as fast as the pump would go and the engine light went out a day or so later, Have not had the problem ever since.

****UPDATE****
-Problem seems to be solved, I replaced the evap solenoid the day before yesterday and now I can fill the tank as fast as the pump will go. It only cost me $28, The engine light has not shut off yet but that should resolve itself in a few days after I drive it around a bit.

-It connects to the charcoal canister under the rear by the gas tank, A lot of people refer to it as the evap valve or solenoid.
-You have to crawl under but its just above and infront of the rear axel.
-A screw driver to pry up on the tab in the middle of the bracket and the same with tabs on the hose to release it. Then slide the new part back in the bracket and bend the tab back to hold it and make the connections.
-About 15 minutes of your time and no gas leaking, Also easier to get to if you drop the spare tire.

Hope this helps everyone!

**********New updated part info*************
GM understands that this is an issue and this part has been updated with a new one that has hoses and moves the filter, but the new part costs $250-300 and is harder to install, and if you get this part it will last another 4-6 years (Which is when I don't plan on having same Tahoe)
:Handshake:
-Anthony

I just wanted to add to this great piece of information. I have a 2005 GMC Yukon 2500 with the 8.1 and tow package. The part shown in the above picture was right behind the rear bumper directly to the right of the receiver. No jacking etc. necessary to get to the part. It may be that the new extended hose part was installed and that's why it is in a different place. Just saying don't crawl around under there first thing but look in the simple spot.

Timpala

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dang it. Didn't solve the problem. CEL is on again and cap message shows up again.
Gotta research the next part.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should work

Hey fellow members, i have been chasing this problem for the pass 3 years and didnt discover this thread until now. Ok, so there are three things that need to be swapped out to have a good functioning system. I have an 06 denali xl, but i dont think this is vehicle specific. Part one is the canister, which is located on near the spare tire area of the vehicle. Part two is the solenoid under the hood near the intake. Part three is the fuel tank pressure sensor ABOVE the gas tank. You have to drop the tank to get to it. Its a 20 dollar part. Replacing all three of these will fix your problem. Here's what it looks like.

Ive included a video on how to replace it ...https://youtu.be/LLxPfeAGL3U

large.JPG

Last edited:

VortecFiend

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't overfill!!

Replaced the purge vent solenoid in my escalade yesterday. CEL still on but im hoping it'll go off after a few more trips.

btw.. Let's not forget the leading cause of solenoid malfunctions to begin with

STOP TOPPING OFF AT THE PUMP!

Constantly doing this is destroying your EVAP system. Mainly the charcoal canister and solenoid.

Most people have these EVAP issues because they don't even realize bad practices are what's causing the problems. Then repair the issues only to have the same problems or worse soon after. All because of lack of information.

Stanski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well seems like I am not alone. Except I have no problem at the pump. Replace the purge valve on manifold, evap solenoid under vehicle, and the gas cap. Still get tighten gas cap alarm then sometimes engine light. My mechanic says code is a evap leak and to check all the lines. They did one a while back and it was a pin hole in a line. So my search continues. Although replacing the two parts was easy.
Good luck everyone.

Stanski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This should work

Hey fellow members, i have been chasing this problem for the pass 3 years and didnt discover this thread until now. Ok, so there are three things that need to be swapped out to have a good functioning system. I have an 06 denali xl, but i dont think this is vehicle specific. Part one is the canister, which is located on near the spare tire area of the vehicle. Part two is the solenoid under the hood near the intake. Part three is the fuel tank pressure sensor ABOVE the gas tank. You have to drop the tank to get to it. Its a 20 dollar part. Replacing all three of these will fix your problem. Here's what it looks like.

Ive included a video on how to replace it ...
Did not know this part is there. Thanks a bunch.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
View attachment 34106[/QUOTE]
This should work

By changing the fuel presure sensor, did that fix your problem?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt