Getting 8.5 mpg need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics above are of the tank dropped and what was seen. the whole thing smelled like gasoline. the metal nut thing on the top was rusted almost shut. they sat it in ********* for 30 min or so. got the old fuel pump out....the float inside had no resistance. just kind of spun around lol all thoe connecting lines that come out the top were rusted almost complete through. the top of the pump had a hole right behind that black connection it was just covered with rust. put your thumb on it went right through. new pump installed running normally. smell is slightly still there i think on the chassis where it was spilling. i filled the tank..204 miles is the est. the miles were going down much slower today though after the replacement. should i still check for a gasket leak graph new info with new pump po455 code is gone btw.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the code went away on its own, you fixed that issue up.

never seen a pump canister top rot out like that before. most of em are all plastic.

give your trims a few days to learn, check em then. hope you gain some mpg back now.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

never seen a pump canister top rot out like that before. most of em are all plastic.

give your trims a few days to learn, check em then. hope you gain some mpg back now.

one of the mechanics said the same thing. think some salt mightve gone up there over time rot it out? the acdelco one i put in the top of it is metal. like a stainless steel it looked like.

cool hopefully it works out i can get some more spread on a tank full.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

There is a little "pool" up there where the water sits.

one of the mechanics said the same thing. think some salt mightve gone up there over time rot it out? the acdelco one i put in the top of it is metal. like a stainless steel it looked like.

cool hopefully it works out i can get some more spread on a tank full.

Spayed mine with bedliner when I changed it.
20171124_144356.jpg
Old.
20171124_184841.jpg
New.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update:

the gas seems to be lasting alot longer so far. the avg mpg goes up between 9 and 11 depending how long im on the highway. the miles seem to go down alot slower now on the estimation. but...PO455 has returned and i still smell a slight vapor smell from driver side. no where near as bad as before but i noticed it, ugh. may have to go back and see if something from the gas cap area down is loose or something. can i run a smoke test through the gas cap to try and find the leak? like backwards instead of from the front at the engine bay evap hose?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24