Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made my own using the following compressed air filter:

https://www.lowes.ca/air-tool-accessories/kobalt-38-in-air-filter_g1186695.html

In about 1000 miles I collected a couple of ounces of oil (about 1.5" in the bottom of the home made catch can.

However, the plastic innards partially melted from the heat. I'll try to mount it farther away from the engine block. This is really too bad because this $40 in air filter seems to have done as good a job as the $100+ catch cans. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one if heat continues to be a problem.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just made my own using the following compressed air filter:

https://www.lowes.ca/air-tool-accessories/kobalt-38-in-air-filter_g1186695.html

In about 1000 miles I collected a couple of ounces of oil (about 1.5" in the bottom of the home made catch can.

However, the plastic innards partially melted from the heat. I'll try to mount it farther away from the engine block. This is really too bad because this $40 in air filter seems to have done as good a job as the $100+ catch cans. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one if heat continues to be a problem.

I used a Husky compressed air filter from Home Depot. Only one I could find that was all black (mine didn't have the stickers).

ab15bddb-c670-4cdf-8a5f-e6fa9df3e55f_1000.jpg

Mounted to the driver side of the alternator bracket and has done great since. Where did you mount yours? I've experienced no heat damage at all.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was sitting just behind what looks like a battery 12V+ junction on the drivers side, so it was just above the valve cover and exhaust manifold. Your location probably keeps it cooler because of the radiator fan.

I just took another look at yours. Mine is just behind where you located yours. I guess those few inches make a difference.

Last edited:

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very likely. When still, the heat from the exhaust would be concentrated on the sides of the engine above the manifolds. When in motion, the heat from the manifolds being blown backwards would keep it away from the front of the engine. The material the filter is made out of will make a difference too, different plastics melt at different temps.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $25 something like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-SQUARE-ALUMINUM-BILLET-HIGH-QUALITY-OIL-CATCH-CAN-RESERVOIR-TANK-CHEVY-/371774688378?fits=Make:Chevrolet|Submodel:LS&hash=item568f7f8c7a:g:-cYAAOSwcUBYEqrO&vxp=mtr would work fine. I m running a similar design with a plastic scrubber inside. Like this: http://www.tools2parts.com/3M-215FW...1phxk1_BDX3TdXwjzQNJ34uRoCRu_w_wcB&click=1006

I reworked the fittings because they were a soft aluminum instead of being brass, and then mounted it up front above the power steering pump/reservoir.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loving the custom more affordable options. Very interested in how they have been working for everyone. I was looking to get an intake instead of just replacing my filter but wanted to make sure it was worth it since thats the only performance mod i'll probably be doing (besides muffler). Will work on this first and even check to make sure intake alone is worth the $

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get at least a few tablespoons each time I change the oil.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buy a true can it will be a life saver. so much easier to empty

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had a catch can on my 05 since 2009 it's worked out great, the intake ect were cleaner then the first time I changed a knock sensor. And today I just took it off the 05 to put it on the 2010 I got a couple days ago :)

Well I finally had time to swap it over today. :D

20170128_082220.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972