Gears, Lift, 22's and 35's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goodolboy29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This truck still runs like a dream.. It drops one gear jumps 5-600 rpms and climbs steep grades with ease.. at 250k I would expect to go through the ac, put on an alternator, put in a fuel pump, heater core then go 150k more!

Question for you guys with more experience in this field, please ignore my ignorance. I just picked up my 04 Tahoe back in December, so I'm steadily gathering parts for this spring. This will be the first vehicle I've done a lift on, sadly I've lowered plenty in the past. I'm looking to run a RC 6" lift with 35x12.50r20's as far as re-gearing the rear to a 4.56 does the front need to be re-geared as well or will factory gears suffice seeing as I don't run 4wd all the time?

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you guys with more experience in this field, please ignore my ignorance. I just picked up my 04 Tahoe back in December, so I'm steadily gathering parts for this spring. This will be the first vehicle I've done a lift on, sadly I've lowered plenty in the past. I'm looking to run a RC 6" lift with 35x12.50r20's as far as re-gearing the rear to a 4.56 does the front need to be re-geared as well or will factory gears suffice seeing as I don't run 4wd all the time?

You can re-gear just the rear for now, but you wouldn't be able to use 4WD until the front is re-geared as well. In the meantime, just remove the front driveshaft

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll more than likely just go ahead and do both.

You can leave the front stock and don’t need to disconnect/remove the front drive shaft. I regeared my rear to 5.13’s for my 37’s and didn’t rehear the front for a couple months. Just don’t lock into 4wd.

Goodolboy29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can leave the front stock and don’t need to disconnect/remove the front drive shaft. I regeared my rear to 5.13’s for my 37’s and didn’t rehear the front for a couple months. Just don’t lock into 4wd.
Thanks man, nice to find a forum where you aren't criticized for a lack of knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Austinite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, dope truck for starters, but how are you liking the 5.13s? I'm thinking about either 4.88s or 5.13s, but I only have 35s. Also, do you have a shop press or did you have someone press your bearings for you? I'm not too worried about installing them myself, but it'll be my first go at it. Any tips or tricks I need to know? BTW is this the notched pin you were talking about?

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some pics when you "Git 'er done!" Should look and perform very well. With the low gears you plan on taking it off road?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts