gear swap/ rear end upgrade ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 with a 6.0 and them 4.10's got a whole 8 mpg on a good day. i also had 31's iirc. had a locker rear, a burn out was not possible unless them tires were bald and wet. truth is it could have pulled down a house. loads of tq.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
Ya It would be my daily for now until I get another car since this truck is my project, and I do a bunch of highway driving so I guess the good in between of good mpg and acceleration and speed. And in the future I'm thinking of a 4l85e transmission with a 6.2 litter engine. Idk about wheels yet. Planning to be making like 500 hp by 2020 tho :)

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 with a 6.0 and them 4.10's got a whole 8 mpg on a good day. i also had 31's iirc. had a locker rear, a burn out was not possible unless them tires were bald and wet. truth is it could have pulled down a house. loads of tq.
I think the killer is the ridiculously heavy stock 80e converter. I get about 11mpg city with a 3k stall and 3.42 gears. 4.11s may actually improve my mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
For the Tahoe in my signature (OBS), I just recently had my gears swapped from 3.42 to 3.90 (factory tire height is 29", I'm currently running 30.5" tires). The low rpm TQ addition is certainly a nice improvement, and around town economy has improved. Haven't had it on the highway/interstate enough yet to get a feel for higher speed economy...my gut feel is that as long as you keep the rpms within a reasonable range, economy will be about the same. Admittedly, my gearing needed to be adjusted for my tires (30.5" matches well with a 3.73 gear set). With the 3.90 gears, my speedo is off by about 10% (I'm now running 10% slower than speedo reading).

As bottomline2000 stated, the 4L8xE transmission is considerably heavier and has a bigger torque converter, both of which rob lots of TQ/HP. If you were looking for a towing setup, I'd certainly recommend the 4L8xE converter as it's more durable relative to the 4L6xE. To convert from the 4L6xE to 4L8xE requires a lot of changes - computer programming, harness, driveshaft length, yoke and pinion changes, and rear end changes...if you're trying to head off "weak link" propagation.

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going for decent mpg don't go over 4.10.my suburban has 3.73 an I rebuilt it with a tru Trac.love it.its still not good on gas with the factory 3.73 if I'm lucky on long trips i get 13 maybe 14.but around town 10 .but it's got loads of miles so it is what it is.but the tru Trac is a great posi upgrade an handles some decent power

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilbert two