Gas Mileage on trip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
I don't understand how having the rooftop carrier empty made any difference. Or am I not getting something?
It was an empty cargo rack vs one filled with stuff in a bag. Only drag coming back was the bars of the carrier. Going up it had a mass 30” tall as wide as the rack, and as long as the rails. If that makes any since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It was an empty cargo rack vs one filled with stuff in a bag. Only drag coming back was the bars of the carrier. Going up it had a mass 30” tall as wide as the rack, and as long as the rails. If that makes any since.

I was thinking it was one of the hard box type carriers.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was thinking it was one of the hard box type carriers.

What Ken said. I thought you had a rooftop carrier:

ar%20Top%20Carriers%20-%201%20-%20Thule%20Sidekick.jpg

mounted to your roof rack. Now it all makes sense.

dwkehoss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe anything on the outside adds a measure of wind resistance which will impact gas mileage. I checked the avg gas mileage indicator on the DIC against my calculator and it was spot on .

billnparker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive got a 2012 LTZ, and average around 15.8 MPG (over 70K miles). Crossing KS from Colorado, if I cruise at 77MPH, I’ll get 14, cruise at 71,MPG will jump up to 17+.

Silent D

Reaction score
In my '09 LTZ from Seattle to Denver I average 15.3 mpg. I am by no means easy on it but do use cruise control most of the time. Two adults, a teenager, 5 year old and two year old with all of our stuff. That straight through, about 19 hours.