Gas Mileage on trip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scot moore

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a little info on my trip over the weekend. When I first got my 2012 Yukon last December, we took a 350 mile trip with a cargo carrier on the roof. While I didn't get this Yukon for it's reputation for awesome gas mileage, I was shocked at the 12 MPG I got on the highway. I posted here in the forums and the consenes seemed to be that it was the roof mounted carrier causing the huge drop in mpg. On the way back from that trip I crammed almost everything into the car and just had the carrier empty minus a folded dog crate on the roof. MPG jumped from 11.5-12 to 14.5. this was better, but not as good as I had hoped. That leads us to my trip over this past weekend. We took another 450 mile trip St. Louis to Wichita KS. I drove 85 most of the way. I used a hitch mounted carrier I had instead of the roof mounted one I used last time. This trip in the Missouri half I got 19 MPG driving 85 mph. This dropped to around 14 in Kansas when we hit a 25 MPH headwind. Driving back home we had no strong wind in either direction, and we got right at 19 mpg again. I am happy with that. We got this yukon because we wanted something bigger than our acadia, and something that would pull our camper without being right at the towing limit. We didn't normally get better than 19 MPG on a trip in the acadia, unless we drove 65-70 mph... Yeah like that is going to happen :) Anyway We are happy with the Yukon and while I was fine taking a hit in MPG to move to it, the wife was really happy that on this trip it matched the Acadia MPG.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am curious about rear end gearing.

I am guessing you must have a 3.08 or 3.42 gear out back.

I get about 17mpg with the cruise set at 73mph in my Burb with 3.73 gears, 4L60E and 5.3L with 200k+ miles on the odometer.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
feel better, I get about 10-12 in the 6.2l 3.42 awd, I might get 14 if I baby it. I do have a heavy foot......
point in case I used to get about the same in my 00 nbs with 5.3L 3.42 so it must just be me.
when I was shopping for this thing I was taking mileage into account vs power of the 6.2l and saw it was specified to be slightly better than my 5.3 nbs was supposed to be and I figured it would turn out to be the same with the way I drive, so far it's pretty close.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that big mac on the roof will get ya every time lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how having the rooftop carrier empty made any difference. Or am I not getting something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne