Gas gauge problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my 1998 Yukon SLT the gas gauge is broken. This is a different problem than other threads I have seen on this site, so I'm making this one. Basically, when I start the truck, the gas gauge flies to full and vibrates wildly there for a few seconds, and then plummets to empty and stays there. This problems occurs even while the vehicle is not in motion. Any help is appreciated!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you should use ohm testing on the sender and gauge to eliminate the possibility that the pcm is the issue. in 98 it ran thru the pcm on the way to the dash.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 96 would sweep in both directions then peg the needle to full between 3/4 and 1/2 tank, swaped the pump assembly and gauge works great now.

Steve Y

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had similar issue with my 96 Tahoe. Replaced the stepper motor in the cluster and the problem was resolved.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP,
curious if you have ever used Shell gasoline? Back in the day, Shell got in some hot water because it was found that their gas messed up people's sending units. My 99 suburban didn't have that issue until I started running Shell gas ( station was close to my job). By the time I discovered/stumbled upon the info, the class action suit had been settled.
It is most likely your sending unit.

OP
OP
K

Koby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dropped the tank and checked the sending unit. The little arm and the two prongs that run against the resistor are not broken, however, it is pretty loose and the arm can move at different angles such that the prongs don't make contact either the resistor plate. I'm not sure if it is just old and needs replacing or what. But I am quite sure I have used Shell in the past, but there aren't any near me anymore, probably for the reason you stated. I'm leaning towards the sending unit being at fault here. Thanks for the replies this far!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh