Gas gauge is dancing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96GMCYukonGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was driving down a dirt road that was quite bumpy and now my gas gauge is just dancing around now any ideas guys?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
thy can swing wildly sometimes when gas is all over the place? did it stop on level ground? how much do you think you have in there? Not all tanks have baffle plates.

OP
OP
96GMCYukonGT

96GMCYukonGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I stop it starts to go back to where it should be and then starts going all over and it's a 96 Yukon gt and its got 1/4 tank

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Ha! At a quarter of a tank that needle will swing more then legs doing the cha cha when going on a rough road.

You can ask your local dealer about this to calm it down:

File In Section: 8 - Chassis/Body Electrical
Bulletin No.: 76-83-05
Date: September, 1997
Subject:
Excessive Fuel Gauge Fluctuation
(Install Fuel Level Damper Kit) Models:
1995-97 Chevrolet and GMC C/K 4 Door Utility Models Condition Some owners may comment about excessive fuel gauge needle fluctuation when making turns or braking with less than a half tank of fuel.
Correction
Install fuel level damper module kit P/N 12167652 following the procedure described on the instruction sheets included with the kit.
Parts Information
P/N Description Qty 12167652 Module Kit, Fuel Level Damper 1 Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Op Description Labor Time N4844 Module, Anti-slosh - Install 0.8 hr

tri94sbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL On mine every time it goes below half it's a guess how much is in there, until it gets to below a quarter then it straightens out some, usually.

196Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ya, issues with mine too... I just replaced the Fuel pump a few weeks back and it does read right. Guy at the parts store said to make sure the ground was a good connection. I do not have baffles in my tank and at a 1/4 tank I ran out of gas. PISSED OFF!!!

tri94sbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, issues with mine too... I just replaced the Fuel pump a few weeks back and it does read right. Guy at the parts store said to make sure the ground was a good connection. I do not have baffles in my tank and at a 1/4 tank I ran out of gas. PISSED OFF!!!

Nothin worse than sittin at the side of the road with your Hoe and no go cause of no gas. I go by the amount of miles on the trip odometer. I zero it out every time I fill it and go about 300 miles on it then head to the gas station...

OP
OP
96GMCYukonGT

96GMCYukonGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll have to look into that cause it stops when it's over half full. But now it's under half and it's doing it again

Deacon Sam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can add mine to the list, its a 99 Hoe & it doesn't matter how much gas is in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17