Garage Set-up. Standard tools set-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Classic2Door99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm enjoying working on the 99 2-dr Tahoe.

I'm new to vehicle repair and upgrade and I don't have many tools.
I'd like to perform regular maintenance and moderate common repairs myself ( everything not requiring specialized infrequent use equipment)

I'd like to set-up my garage.
Q: What is the basic 'must have' weekend hobbyist set-up?
For example: socket set, torque wrench, key wrench set, jack / ramp, engine hoist
Q:Are most of the bolts/nuts SAE inch or also Metric as well? I recall someone mentioning that GM used alternating standards.

Q: GearWrench and Craftsman make Ratcheting Wrenches with a pivoting head? Would these be useful? In SAE inch or Metric or both ?

Sorry for the dumb questions - grew up without a Dad around so I'm learning a bit late in life.
I'd like to go to Costco / Sears and buy what I need.
Thanks.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
when I was 9 my grandfather bought me a craftsman 350ish piece tool set. although I have upgraded a good bit of the things in it I still use them all to this day. I would also get a set of pliers and a screw driver set. a decant jack and jack stands is a must and my go to tool ( I have over 20 lol) a good hammer or 2!

being new to turning wrenches I wouldn't think you would have any need for a engine hoist for quite some time

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moved this to the garage section :Handshake:

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warranty is more important than price but it shouldn't cost you much to get going. Bet you can set yourself up pretty decent with Harbor Freight. If you are breaking a tool you're using the wrong one most likely...

My $.02

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally have almost everything I need.

Sockets, wrenches, pullers, brass hammers, even specialized tools. Most of it I purchased when going through GM ASEP.

One thing I did not buy till like 4 days ago was a compressor.

Seems like a important thing right have. I have done ball joints and lots of suspension work without one. Its a hard way to to do things lol

I love this thing.

udytatap.jpg
egymy2ud.jpg

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
get your self at least a 30 gallon compressor with an oil filled pump, a nice compliments of air tools. you will need sae and metric stuff. bare minimum brand would be craftsman tools. for special tools get what you need from otc tools when ever possible which you can buy cheap on amazon. 3-ton and 1-to jack would be ideal as well as 3-ton jack stands. that stuff and repair manual knowledge will help you fly thru the work with much less stress.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one I posted is oiled. Used it yesterday and buzz buzz and stuff is off. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01